BCIT champions a diversity of experiences, ideas, cultures, and perspectives, fostering a community permeated with equality and inclusivity. To that end, BCIT is committed to:
- Ensuring all employees receive training on diversity, inclusion, and anti-racism.
- Actively working to ensure employees come from diverse groups and represent the communities within which we live and work by creating equitable hiring practices to remove systemic barriers and unconscious bias.
- Acknowledging that BCIT is located on the unceded territory of the Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), səl̓ilwətaɁɬ (Tsleil-Waututh), and xwməθkwəy̓əm (Musqueam) First Nations. And recognizing that the relationship with Indigenous peoples in Canada has been troubled and must be reconciled.
- Providing platforms and training to staff and students to address issues of racism, diversity, unconscious bias, and allyship.
- Supporting BCIT Indigenous Initiatives, the Respect, Diversity, and Inclusion (RDI) Department, and other community groups and ensuring these critical services continue to respond to racist behaviour.
- Continuing to provide a complaint mechanism for anyone who is subjected to such behaviour within the BCIT learning or working environment through various channels, including the RDI department.