Applied Research Strategic Plan
Applied research is core to what makes BCIT so unique and is central to our mandate.
Applied Research at BCIT
Whether referred to as experiential learning, work-integrated learning, capstone projects, directed studies, or industry sponsored student projects, applied research gives students the opportunity to work on real-life problems.
At BCIT, applied research covers a wide range of technologies of vital importance to the provincial economy—including information technology, building science, biotech, health, forensics, natural resources, manufacturing, energy, transportation, business, food, and sustainability.
Applied research is:
- a hands-on experience for students, invaluable to future careers
- a collaboration between faculty and industry in pursuit of new methodologies and technologies
- the development of new teaching methods and associated tools
- a conduit for assisting Canadian companies and communities to innovate for a better economy
Through the 2021–25 BCIT Applied Research Strategic Plan, we pursue our vision of being one of the world’s most recognized polytechnic institutes.
The 2021–25 Applied Research Strategic Plan
Our excellence in applied research, applied problem-solving, and applied education is well known. Building on a solid foundation, we aim to facilitate and bolster faculty and student research, and to use our campuses as living labs. In developing this plan, we identified several key findings that shape the way forward for applied research and drive our commitments:
- Awareness. Awareness of research at BCIT needs to increase.
- Increased participation. More opportunities, especially release time, need to be provided for schools, faculty, and students to participate in research.
- Student training. We need to provide more research training and work-integrated-learning opportunities for students.
- Facilities and resources. There needs to be a decisive investment in shared resources and student access to properly equipped facilities.
- Infrastructure synergy. BCIT needs to actively pursue a synergy between the construction of new infrastructure and educational and research opportunities.
This Plan reaffirms our commitment to applied research and ensures alignment with the BCIT Strategic and Education Plans.
BCIT commits to:
- Investing in people: from individuals just beginning to explore applied research to newly minted Canada Research Chairs, BCIT will embrace research as an integral part of its drive for excellence.
- Research and education: BCIT supports innovative, interdisciplinary educational models and we consider research in the classroom a form of hands-on learning and key to future-proofing our students’ careers.
- Graduate studies: strengthening and developing graduate programs and graduate level research at BCIT.
- Research centres and infrastructure: promoting interdisciplinary education through the creation of new centres of competence and the development of research infrastructure.
- New industry opportunities: improving outreach and enhancing relationships with industry.
Research will play an essential role in BCIT remaining relevant to emerging industry and educational needs. Explore the Applied Research Strategic Plan to learn more about how we plan to get there.
Interested in learning more?
The British Columbia Institute of Technology acknowledges that our campuses are located on the unceded traditional territories of the Coast Salish Nations of Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), səl̓ilwətaɁɬ (Tsleil-Waututh), and xwməθkwəy̓əm (Musqueam).