Important Privacy Information
BCIT and Protection of Personal InformationAs a public body, BCIT complies with privacy provisions of BC's Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (RSBC 1996 ch. 165):
- Personal information is collected directly from the individual about whom it relates
- Personal information is collected, used, and disclosed for purposes consistent with BCIT's program and service offerings
- Individuals have the right of access to and a right to request correction of their own personal information
- Personal information is retained for the time period to fulfill the purposes for which it was collected
- Personal information is secured from unauthorized access
- Individuals will be notified about the purposes for which information is collected, and when information is collected for an optional use, individuals will consent to the information collection
You may refer to BCIT's policy 6700 Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy [PDF], for more information.
For more information about BCIT's privacy procedures you may contact:
Associate Director, Information Access and Privacy
British Columbia Institute of Technology
3700 Willingdon Avenue
Burnaby, B.C., Canada V5G 3H2
Notification Regarding BCIT's Web Site and Personal Information
As a visitor to BCIT's Web site, BCIT's Web servers automatically collect information that is essential to operating and maintaining the site's security. The information collected includes:
- Browser type
- Internet service provider (ISP) name
- IP address
The extent of personal information collected by BCIT's Web servers depends on the standards followed by your ISP. You may wish to contact your provider to determine the policies and practices in this regard.
BCIT's Web site contains links to third party sites, and BCIT is not responsible for the privacy provisions of those other Web sites.
Some portions of the BCIT Web site may distribute small pieces of information (called "cookies") to Web browsers to assist you when you return to specific areas on the site. If you have concerns about cookies, you can change your Web browser settings not to accept this information, or display warning messages.
When you voluntarily send electronic mail to BCIT or complete an electronic form that includes identifying information about you, BCIT will keep a record of this information so that we can respond to you.