The BCIT Research Ethics Board (REB) interprets and applies the institute’s Research Ethics for Human Participant Policy #6500 [PDF], which is based on the Tri-Council Policy Statement: Ethical Conduct for Research Involving Humans (TCPS 2).
Any research conducted at BCIT or undertaken by BCIT faculty, staff or students that involves human participants or biological materials (blood, DNA, etc.) should be reviewed and approved by the Research Ethics Board. Guidelines and forms can be found below.
For more information on the REB and research ethics at BCIT:
Note for in-person research
Effective April 11, 2022
Given the ongoing and variable risks associated with COVID-19 in communities and BCIT’s participation in research ethics harmonization in BC, the BCIT REB has adopted UBC’s guidelines and forms to review and mitigate the risk to researchers and participants.
Summer 2022 REB Applications
The REB will not accept new applications in July and August.
Applications submitted by the last day of June will still be processed.
- Application Form [PDF]. Please email this form and all attachments to the REB Chair. If you are collaborating with other researchers in BC or recruiting participants at other institutions in BC please use the online application in RISe instead (see FAQ for details).
- Instructions and template for Application Form [PDF]
- Instructions and template for Application Form [DOCX]
- Instructions and template for Informed Consent Form [PDF]
- Instructions and template for Informed Consent Form [DOCX]
Post approval form
- Application for Amendment, Annual Renewal, Unanticipated Problems, and Study Completion (Post Approval Form) [PDF]
- Instructions and template for Post Approval Form [PDF]
- Instructions and template for Post Approval Form [DOCX]
REB policies and procedures
- BCIT Policy: 6500 – Research Ethics for Human Participants [PDF]
- BCIT Procedure: 6500-PR1 – Research Ethics for Human Participants [PDF]
- TCPS 2 (2018) – Tri-Council Policy Statement: Ethical Conduct for Research Involving Humans
- BCIT Survey Guidelines and Best Practices
- The Canadian Association of Research Ethics Boards
- The Interagency Advisory Panel on Research Ethics
- The National Council on Ethics in Human Research
- TCPS 2 Course on Research Ethics (CORE)