Graduates of the Professional Real Estate Advanced Diploma program will be prepared to apply relevant skills to create a successful career in a variety of real estate industry positions in Vancouver, British Columbia, and nationally. The program is designed by professionals and faculty with extensive, practical, industry experience. Along with relevant foundational theory, students are introduced to real-world settings and practical experiences that prepare them for ethical, professional service in a range of industry roles including real estate agents, brokers, appraisers, and property managers. This theory-based, practice-driven learning platform will deliver graduates to the industry with foundational skills and competencies from which to a build a base for a long-term career.
Program delivery mode: in person
- This program will be delivered in person.
- We have put measures in place for your safety and well-being, ensuring that all safety protocols are addressed. Please see the BCIT COVID-19 page for details on the procedures that have been implemented.
Your education is our priority and we will continue to deliver the applied instruction, collaborative experience, and industry connections that you expect from BCIT.
About the program
- 1 year, full-time
- Classes are scheduled 3 days a week
- Personal attention with just 26 students per class
- Challenge the Real Estate Council of British Columbia’s licensing examinations
- Complete a Business Consulting Project for a company
Who should apply for the Professional Real Estate Diploma?
The Professional Real Estate diploma program might be for you if you:
- Have a diploma, associate degree, bachelor degree, or 60 course credits
- Have some business experience
- Have an ability to build relationships
You’ll prepare for your career in real estate with our unique program developed by people with extensive industry experience. Each step in your training is focused on practical skills used every day by successful real estate agents, brokers, appraisers, and other professionals. The goal of the Professional Real Estate Diploma Program is to give you the applicable skills you need to create a successful career with opportunities in a variety of real estate jobs.
Most importantly, successful students often have a strong ambition to succeed and willingness to work toward an exciting career. If this sounds like you, visit our Entrance Requirements page to apply today.
What grads can do
At BCIT, you’ll be prepared with courses and studies designed by working industry professionals. This gives you the real-world knowledge to move from graduation and into a career in a variety of fields.
Our graduates are in high demand for opportunities like residential or commercial sales and development, industrial leasing, sales or financing, land development, marketing resort properties, project marketing, and more.
Learn more about the exciting opportunities available on the Graduating and Jobs page.
BCIT offers a number of international study opportunities that helps students gain a global perspective of the economy, culture, government, and everyday life of the country they study in. You could participate in a summer field school or complete an international degree. Learn more about studying abroad.
This program is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP).
Bring Your Own Device
Students are required to have their own laptop. Please refer to the Bring Your Own Device Specifications [PDF] for requirements.
Laptop costs vary depending on the configuration chosen, but will likely range from approximately $1,000 to $2,000.
This program is designed to be advanced undergraduate competency level. Applicants require a diploma or degree (or equivalent study/life experience) to gain acceptance in the program. They will complete a four week long online “Ramp-Up” course offered prior to the first term starting. Students then complete a total of 60 credits over three, 15-week long terms.
Upon successful completion of the program, students will be able to:
Real estate business strategy and operations
- Evaluate and apply proven, fundamental business concepts to the real estate industry.
- Identify and apply successful management and leadership models to a real estate business.
- Confirm the concepts and applications of responsible financial management of a real estate business.
Real estate marketplace
- Create and execute effective marketing strategy for building a successful real estate business.
- Articulate core legal requirements including basic Canadian legal principles, and BC laws pertaining to real estate industry regulation, tenancy, strata property, contracts, agency, mortgages, property tax, indigenous land, and zoning, relevant to the real property marketplace.
- Demonstrate competent application of professional ethics and codes of business practice, as required in the BC real property marketplace.
- Appraise and evaluate real property in each of the key asset classes, including development opportunities, for the purpose of identifying profitable development sites in forecasted market conditions.
- Recognize and respond effectively to relevant shifts in vital trends within a real estate market.
Real estate practice
- Develop effective, efficient, integrated marketing strategy to harvest profit from a real estate business opportunity in dynamic market conditions.
- Perform financial (including mortgage) calculations in support of financial knowledge relevant for decision-making in a real estate marketplace.
- Master basic, relationship-driven professional sales skills specific to the real estate industry.
- Negotiate enforceable real estate contracts in situations typified by high emotive and complex dynamics, while delivering appropriate fiduciary care to all stakeholders.
- Identify the most profitable approach for a specific real estate investment opportunity, and then demonstrate how to add personal value to the profitable harvest of that opportunity.
- Demonstrate appropriate legal and ethical competence in service of clients and the public, according to the British Columbia Real Estate Council regulations, while carrying out a myriad of professional real estate functions.
- Demonstrate concepts and applications learned during the program, through professional level completion of a live BC real estate market challenge sponsored by an industry partner.
With BCIT’s unique blend of theoretical knowledge and practical, real-world skills, graduates from the program have built their exciting careers across many fields and across the globe. Graduates are prepared for employment in residential sales and development, industrial leasing and sales, recreational land, marketing resort properties, and more.
Some career opportunities include:
- Real Estate Agent
- Property Value Appraiser
- Real Estate Sales Coordinator
- Residential Property Manager
- Land Development Manager
- Real Estate Project Manager
- Asset Manager
- Mortgage Broker
- Real Property Financial Analyst
The program will, as an additional benefit to qualified graduates, see the graduate be able to challenge any, or all, of the following BC real estate licensing courses:
- Real Estate Trading Services
- Real Estate Associate and Managing Broker
- Real Estate Property Management
- Mortgage Broker
The British Columbia real estate industry licensing requirements are amongst the most rigorous in the world. Graduates successfully licensed in any of these specialties may then be positioned to challenge similar licensing requirements in all other Canadian provinces and many American states.
“Enrolling was the single best life decision I have ever made. The courses were designed to emulate what it was like to work in BC’s real estate industry. On top of industry specific knowledge, the program heavily focused on building and maintaining relationships with industry experts. This program was a main reason I was able to find work so quickly.”
Luca Bortolazzo, New Wave Lending
All Real Estate faculty have industry experience at some of today’s leading businesses, bringing their passion for this dynamic industry to the classroom. They’re accomplished in both the real estate and teaching fields, creating a challenging learning platform from which each program graduate can be well-prepared to enter and contribute to this dynamic, demanding multi-billion dollar business field.
- Kevin Murray, Traction Complete (PAC Chair)
- Peter Barton, SAP
- Steve Buchan, Fusion CRM Product Development
- Todd Cullum, Leavitt Machinery
- Jeff Duncan, Meetingmax
- Greg Malpass, Traction on Demand
- Kevin Pearce, LandSea tour
- Jeremy Tiffen, Horizon Recruitment
- Sloan Vereecken, Fairmont Pacific Rim
- Morgan Westcott, BCIT Associate Dean
- Joe Freeburn, BCIT Program Head
- David Tikkanen, BCIT Program Head
- Bruce Anthony, BCIT Program Head
- Danielle Wilson, BCIT Program Head
- Rick Kroetsch, BCIT Program Head
- Daniel John, BCIT Program Head
- Tracey Renzullo, BCIT Program Head
Sign up to receive updates, invitations to events, and information about BCIT and your program.
We promise not to spam you, we won’t share your personal information, and you can unsubscribe at any time.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.