The Front-End Web Developer (FWD) program takes students with little to no knowledge of web development and gives them the skills necessary to develop websites for small- to medium-sized businesses or for large websites as part of a web development team in just six months. The goal of this short, fast-track program is to produce job-ready graduates who can work in the front-end web design and development field.
Fall 2021 delivery mode: in person
- This program will be delivered in person for the fall semester.
- We have put measures in place for your safety and well-being, ensuring that all safety protocols are addressed. Please see the BCIT COVID-19 page for details on the procedures that have been implemented.
- As of May 2021, students enrolling in classes for the fall 2021 term should be prepared for in-person face-to-face learning. This means making any required travel and accommodation arrangements before the term begins. The current health situation is fluid, and changes might arise depending on the health situation. We will inform you of the exact delivery model as soon as possible.
Your education is our priority and we will continue to deliver the applied instruction, collaborative experience, and industry connections that you expect from BCIT.
The program covers the following key areas:
- web design tools
- information architecture and user experience
- front-end web development
- web application development
By using a “best practices” approach to web development, you will create sites that are not only visually appealing but are also accessible, usable, and standards compliant.
Upon completion of the FWD program, you will have a publicly accessible web portfolio showcasing your work created throughout the program along with your industry project.
You will learn techniques in application development, be exposed to several current web technologies, and apply system development best practices to design and develop usable and effective websites.
The program is delivered through classroom instruction, hands-on lab work and individual and team projects. Applicants for the Front-End Web Developer program should possess sound logical and reasoning abilities, as well as good communication skills – both written and oral. Applicants should also have a working knowledge of Windows or macOS and be comfortable working with files and folders (saving, copying, moving and renaming files and folders).
|Program Location:||Downtown Vancouver|
|Program Length:||26 weeks, Full-time|
|Program Start / End:||September 20, 2021 – April 1, 2022|
Costs & Supplies
Graduating & Jobs
Sector 2020 snapshot
Graduates will find careers in a variety of industries including business, finance, government, health, information technology, telecommunications and independent consulting. Depending on previous academic and work experience, career paths for graduates may include but are not limited to:
- Front-end web developer
- Web application developer
- Web developer
- UX/UI Designer
Faculty, Advisors & Staff
Michael Whyte, FWD Program Head
Beata Kozma, FWD Faculty
Youri van Vliet, Program Coordinator
BCIT is well-respected by employers for its ties to industry. In Computing, this connection is formalized through a Program Advisory Committee (PAC) comprised of experts in a range of roles from a cross-section of companies. The department consults regularly to ensure program currency and relevance.
Questions or comments?
Sign up to receive updates, invitations to events, and information about BCIT and your program.
We promise not to spam you, we won’t share your personal information, and you can unsubscribe at any time.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.