With the 3D Modeling, Art and Animation diploma program, you will develop the skills necessary to enter the game, film, and television industries as a 3D Artist. You will get hands on experience with the entire 3D workflow including modeling, animating, texturing, rigging, lighting, rendering, and compositing. You will be trained by working industry professionals from the game, film, and television industries providing the most up to date methods and techniques used today. In the last term, you will apply all of these learned skills, alongside direction and feedback from your instructors, to produce a marketable and appealing demo reel to get you a job in your chosen career path.
About the program
- 18 consecutive months, full time
- Applied, hands-on education that is based on industry demands and standards
- Prepares you to work in gaming, film, and TV
Learn more about how BCIT prepares you for your career success on the Program Details page.
Who should complete the 3D Modeling, Art and Animation Diploma?
We have many students enter the program directly from high school, as well as many who are working and looking to return to study to prepare for a new career.
The 3D Modeling, Art and Animation diploma program is right for you if:
- You have a passion for 3D
- You have a broad overview of how 3D works and want to gain the technical skills
- You want to translate your 2D art skills into 3D art skills
- You have a strong work ethic and the self-discipline to work many hours independently
- You work well within team environments
To apply today, visit the Entrance Requirements page.
What grads can do
By creating a standardized demo reel that showcases your abilities, graduates of the 3D Modeling, Art and Animation program are prepared to enter a variety of 3D related jobs. The work of our graduates can be found in productions from such studios as Electronic Arts, The Coalition, Bioware, Ubisoft, DHX, Rainmaker, Bron, ICON Creative, and MPC.
Learn more about the opportunities awaiting you on for Graduating and Jobs page.
- Next up Entrance Requirements
The courses in the 3D Modeling, Art and Animation diploma program were designed by working industry professionals to ensure you are trained in the latest software and techniques that industry is using today. You will gain experience in each step of the 3D workflow, from modeling and animation to high poly sculpting and texturing, to rendering and compositing. This guided experience allows you to find where your true talents lie so you can focus your final demo reel on that subject. You will have access to the 3D Modeling, Art and Animation computer labs 7 days a week to work on your projects, assignments, and final demo reel.
The 3D Modeling, Art and Animation diploma program is an intense 18 month program designed to get you the skills you need to be successful in the game, film, and television industries. You will be trained by industry professionals on the latest software and techniques used every day in the studio. You will gain experience on every part of the 3D workflow as you discover where your talents and interest lie, ultimately culminating in a focused final demo reel designed to get you a job in your chosen career.
Working in 3D requires a large time commitment to hone your skills to the level that the industry requires. The entry bar into this industry gets higher and higher each year as the technology gets better and better. Your final demo reel is a self-directed project guided by industry professionals. The students who are most successful in this program are the ones who have the self-discipline to commit the time and effort required to push their work to the high level that industry expects.
- Design and create concept art for 3D models to be used in games and visual effects
- Develop a storyboard for animation
- Model and texture 3D characters and environments based on industry practice
- Stage a virtual environment and scene
- Create animator friendly rigs for 3D models
- Sculpt and create high detail models
- Create 3D animations
- Design and produce textures for character and props
- Apply lighting techniques based on industry practice
- Optimize textures and 3D assets for production
- Create and setup a game level in industry standard engines
- Apply a broad range of software techniques and methodologies used by studios
- Create 3D assets and animations following the production pipeline practiced in game and visual effects industries
- Demonstrate effective teamwork and problem solving skills
- Demonstrate a professional work ethic
- Render and composite an industry standard professional demo reel
Your diploma in 3D Modeling, Art and Animation provides you with the technical skills, knowledge, and experience to begin a career in the 3D Arts.
Our graduates go on to work in game studios, film and television studios, architectural visualization studios, and more.
Some career opportunities direct from this program include:
- Prop Artist
- Character Artist
- Environment Artist
- Texture and Shading Artist
- Look Development Artist
- Lighting Artist
- Layout Artist
- Junior Rigger
- Render Artist
Our instructors are active industry professionals who provide current and first-hand knowledge on their area of expertise. The material covered in the classroom directly relates to work that you will be performing in your future careers. This hands-on training with industry level tools and resources provides you with an accurate representation of what work in a studio is like.
Courses are reviewed frequently to ensure new tools and programs are implemented into the curriculum. If the industry is using it, you will find it being used and taught in this program.
604-412-7691 | email@example.com
Program Head, 3D Modeling, Art and Animation
604-456-1101 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact a Program Advisor with the BCIT program name in the subject line if you have a question about:
- Program selection and program planning
- Applying for transfer credit and advanced placement
- Job placement and graduate outcomes
- Student life
Questions or comments?
Sign up to receive updates, invitations to events, and information about BCIT and your program.
We promise not to spam you, we won’t share your personal information, and you can unsubscribe at any time.
- Go Back Contact Us
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.