Do you have an artistic spark? Are you interested in a career that helps shape the world we live in? You might have a future in graphic design and BCIT can help you get started. The Associate Certificate in Graphic Design Foundations will help you build a sold knowledge base that will prepare you for a long, rewarding career.
Available at your own pace through part-time studies, this program gives you hands-on experience with creative software, strategic design, and digital composition for the relevant job skills employers are seeking.
About the program
- No application required for part-time study
- Like a career boot-camp of creative software, strategic design, and digital composition
Learn more about this program and how it prepares you for jobs in graphic design at the Program Details.
Who should complete the Graphic Design Foundations Associate Certificate?
If you’re interested in working in the graphic arts, earning your associate certificate is a great way to begin your training and test the field. Many students are:
- Sponsored by their employers to strengthen their skills
- Already gifted with an interest in creativity and enquiring minds
- Innovative thinkers
- Interested in exploring a creative career
- Enjoy collaborative, creative challenges
If any of these sound like you, visit the Entrance Requirements page to begin today—most courses are offered every semester!
What grads can do
Many grads use their talents to create ads, displays, and web and print media for agencies, in-house marketing departments, and government organizations. Additionally, some choose a combination of work and or continuing design education to further their abilities and job prospects. Students may continue their design education via the laddering option to the BCIT Certificate in Graphic Design.
Learn more about the specific job opportunities available on the Graduating and Jobs page.
Important Updates to Part-time Studies
The program is offered through part time studies which addresses your career needs and goals with flexible course options and availability. Most courses are offered every term by working industry professionals to give you the most up-to-date technology and practices in topics such as colour theory, InDesign, Photoshop, and layout design.
Please note: part-time programs and courses are open enrolment and although we make every effort to accommodate demand, course registration cannot be guaranteed in every semester. High demand courses fill quickly and may result in students unable to register for a course that semester. Courses may also be cancelled due to low enrolment.
The Graphic Design Foundations associate certificate is designed to provide the technical and creative knowledge necessary for employment. Taught by working professionals, you will learn design techniques and skills sought after by marketing departments, ad agencies, and other organizations. Several of the projects produced in your courses are suitable for a portfolio to present your accomplishments to clients and potential employers.
Graduates of the Graphic Design Foundations associate certificate will be able to:
- Use Creative Cloud software tools: Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator and Acrobat
- Design and create scalable 2D and 3D vector illustrations
- Enhance compelling photographs for best digital reproduction
- Conceptualize, design and compose digital content purposed for a variety of media
- Use conventional composition principles for aesthetic visual design
- Use conventional typographic principles to create hierarchy in design
- Analyze and solve client visual colour problems
- Prepare PDF files for a variety of requirements including project proofs and commercial printing
- Translate client needs into viable communications strategies
- Apply W3C standards and fundamental technologies to control the structure, function and aesthetics of online media
The intense focus on graphic design creative skills and technology in this associate certificate program can help prepare you for entry-level jobs and continuing career development within your current field such as marketing, advertising, or print and online media.
Some job opportunities in the graphic arts include:
- Junior Graphic Designer
- Production Artist
- Layout Specialist
Program Assistant, Digital Arts, Media and Design
604-432-8248 | email@example.com
Part-time Studies Coordinator, Digital Arts, Media and Design
604-432-8380 | Aimee_Chung@bcit.ca
Contact a Program Advisor with the BCIT program name in the subject line if you have a question about:
- Course selection and program planning
- Declaring your program
- Making changes to your approved program plan
- Applying for transfer credit and advanced placement
- Laddering options
- Job placement and graduate outcomes
- Student life
Questions or comments?
Sign up to receive updates, invitations to events, and information about BCIT and your program.
We promise not to spam you, we won’t share your personal information, and you can unsubscribe at any time.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.