Your creativity combined with perceptive and analytical skills could lead you to a fulfilling and successful career in graphic design. In this age of information, organizations are expanding their communications and marketing departments, increasing the demand for graphic designers and communication professionals. While the technology is ever-evolving, strategy and concept development remain the valuable core of this dynamic profession.
The Certificate in Graphic Design provides you with a skillset preparing you for success in the graphic design field in either Two Terms (15 weeks each) or Three Terms (15 weeks each) depending on which model you apply for, or you can complete courses part-time at your own pace. This program combines a solid foundation in technical expertise and design process (term one) and continues with project design/development and critical skills—from concept through to completion—in term two. Subjects taught include typography, brand identity, corporate communications, UI/UX, and more. You will learn to create professional, impactful design that engages its target audience by the considered use of design principles.
About the program
Graphic Design and BCIT are an unbeatable combination. Employers value BCIT’s applied, job-ready approach to education and training. The Graphic Design program will cover the fundamentals of the skills and business necessities of graphic design.
Learn more about our unique program and how it prepares you for design success in the Program Details.
Who should complete the Certificate in Graphic Design?
This program might be for you if you:
- Have an interest in visual communication
- Want to explore the field of graphic design
- Are considering pursuing a diploma or degree in design
- May already have a degree, and are looking for complementary skills to become a full-time graphic designer
If any of these appeal to you, visit our Entrance Requirements page to apply today.
If you are interested in a short introduction to Graphic Design, consider the Associate Certificate in Graphic Design Foundations. All six courses in the Associate Certificate can be applied toward the full Certificate in Graphic Design.
What grads can do
With BCIT’s certificate program you’ll gain necessary skills to begin your career in graphic design. You will gain technical expertise combined with a solid foundation in visual communication and the design process.
Learn more about your options and benefits at the Graduating and Jobs page.
The courses in this certificate program have been designed to give you the essential skills in graphic design to begin your career or get a head start on furthering your education. All your studies, including vector graphics, digital media design, and packaging design, focus on the practical skills and knowledge you’ll need every day for a successful design career.
BCIT’s Certificate in Graphic Design gives you an ideal combination of design knowledge and technical skills to begin your entry-level career or lay the cornerstone for further education. Through this program, you will get the hands-on experience using the most up-to-date technology and techniques for graphic and communication design. You’ll study with working industry professionals to learn todays challenges and skills and produce your own print and digital portfolios to help you showcase your work to future employers.
Graduates of the Graphic Design certificate will be able to:
- Apply the creative process to develop effective design solutions for clients
- Research a client to gain an understanding of their market and their message
- Use critical thinking to develop strategic design solutions that address clients’ communication needs for print and online use
- Communicate a message using visual language
- Apply typographic techniques and principles for effective hierarchy and composition refinement
- Incorporate images to complement the typographic elements of a design project
- Develop brand identity, layout, and corporate collateral for print and online media
- Apply W3C standards and fundamental technologies to control the structure, function and aesthetics of online media
- Apply design aesthetics principles for efficiency, responsiveness and accessibility
- Use best practices in the application of human-centred design principles in project development
- Create files purposed for a variety of media
- Use persuasive arguments to explain the design rationale
- Communicate effectively with clients throughout the design process
- Use best business practices for communication designers
- Plan production schedules and project timelines to meet deadlines and budget requirements
- Create a suite of personal marketing/business materials and an industry portfolio
By completing your Certificate in Graphic Design, you’re building the cornerstone of your knowledge for a lifelong career. The skills you’ll learn in this program prepare you to begin a career or accelerate your study of print and web design.
Some opportunities in graphic design include:
- Communication Designer
- Graphic Designer
- Creative Director
- Digital Communication Specialist
- Communications Specialist
- Corporate Communication Designer
- Editorial Designer
- Publication Designer
- Package Designer
- Brand Strategist or Manager
- Prepress Specialist
- Production Specialist
- Customer Service
- Marketing Specialist
Graduates of the certificate program are also well situated to pursue further study to earn their bachelor’s degree in design.
Instructors in the Graphic Design Certificate Program have extensive industry experience and remain in the field in addition to teaching. Many of the instructors are members of professional institutes and organizations that relate to the areas of study. These memberships allow instructors to remain current on new industry standards and offer fresh insight to students on recent developments.
Full-time Program Assistant
604-453-4032 | Karen_Harvey@bcit.ca
Full-time Assistant Instructor
604-451-7032 | Terri_Carde@bcit.ca
Part-time Program Assistant
604-432-8248 | firstname.lastname@example.org
604-432-8380 | Aimee_Chung@bcit.ca
Contact a Program Advisor with the BCIT program name in the subject line if you have a question about:
- Course selection and program planning
- Declaring your program
- Making changes to your approved program plan
- Applying for transfer credit and advanced placement
- Laddering options
- Job placement and graduate outcomes
- Student life
Questions or comments?
Sign up to receive updates, invitations to events, and information about BCIT and your program.
We promise not to spam you, we won’t share your personal information, and you can unsubscribe at any time.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.