Master the effects that contribute to compelling images. Image Post Production explores the fundamentals of working with digital images acquired from capture, with a focus on the image optimization process within Adobe Photoshop. This course will demonstrate how to produce a high-quality image that can be reproduced for multiple purposes. Topics include colour theory as it relates to digital images, processing camera RAW files, non-destructive workflow within Adobe Photoshop, making selections, and working with layer masks. The course will be provided in a lecture/lab format with in-class exercises providing hands-on experience.
Below is one offering of GDES 2012 for the Fall 2023 term.
Thu Sep 14 - Thu Nov 30 (12 weeks)
- 12 weeks
- CRN 50147
Class meeting times
|Sep 14 - Nov 30||Thu||18:00 - 21:00||Online|
- Internet delivery format.
- Important course information will be sent to you prior to your course start date. Check your myBCIT email account to access this information.
This is not a self-paced course. You will be expected to be available and online on the posted days and times shown on your registration schedule. It is important you have a stable and consistent internet connection to access course content. Please log into learn.bcit.ca using your BCIT student email and password on the first day of class. You will require access to the Adobe Creative Cloud in order to complete this course. Students who are currently registered in one or more part-time courses can purchase a subscription for Adobe Creative Cloud Pro at a discount through BCIT’s new software portal h kb.bcit.ca/student/adobe-creative-cloud-subscription-flexible-learning-student-3130/
This course offering is in progress. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive email updates.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Correct, enhance and retouch JPG images in Photoshop using a non-destructive workflow
- Crop, recompose and resize images to meet specific requirements
- Apply different colour profiles to images for use in production ready artwork
- Export files from Photoshop for web use and print production
- Work with colour modes and channels which contain the image colour information
- Explain colour theory that relates to working with digital images
- Utilize Photoshop RAW processing interface to process Camera RAW files
- Correct, enhance and retouch camera RAW files in Photoshop
- Work with layers, layer blending modes and Layer Styles
- Create and save accurate paths using the pen tool in Photoshop
- Load accurate paths created in to layer masks for detailed refinements using brushes
- Composite multiple images together non-destructively in Photoshop
- Perform advanced non-destructive image retouching on a variety of images in Photoshop
- Batch process and batch export multiple images using actions and Camera RAW interface in Photoshop
Effective as of Spring/Summer 2023
Image Post Production (GDES 2012) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Business + Media
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Image Post Production (GDES 2012)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.