In this capstone course students will integrate knowledge, skills, and abilities gained throughout the program towards the inclusion of a minimum of two major design projects in an online graphic design print and web portfolio. Students will self-direct their workflow, employing research, concept ideation, and production skills to refine previously completed program projects. Depending on recently honed abilities and project requirements, students may create new projects. Students will be guided in professional methods and techniques for achieving effective content including the design of a self-brand identity (with stationery), review resumes, and prepare for the interview process and presentations. For ease of access and deployment, students will be instructed and guided to build their portfolio website on an online content management platform. This course should be one of the last taken in the Certificate.
Below is one offering of GDES 2430 for the Fall 2023 term.
Sat Sep 16 - Sat Dec 16 (11 weeks)
- 11 weeks
- CRN 50146
Class meeting times
|Sep 16 - Dec 16||Sat||09:30 - 12:45||Online|
Course outline TBD — see Learning Outcomes in the interim.
- Internet delivery format.
- Important course information will be sent to you prior to your course start date. Check your myBCIT email account to access this information.
No classes on the following days: Sep.30, Oct. 7 & Nov.11. This is not a self-paced course. You will be expected to be available and online on the posted days and times shown on your registration schedule. It is important you have a stable and consistent internet connection to access course content. Please log into learn.bcit.ca using your BCIT student email and password on the first day of class. You will require access to the Adobe Creative Cloud in order to complete this course. Students who are currently registered in one or more part-time courses can purchase a subscription for Adobe Creative Cloud Pro at a discount through BCIT’s new software portal h kb.bcit.ca/student/adobe-creative-cloud-subscription-flexible-learning-student-3130/
This course offering has been cancelled. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive email updates.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Create a portfolio plan based on research, career path preferences and self-assessment.
- Rationalize your portfolio design strategy based on research data and personal strengths analysis.
- Develop discipline tracks, visual layouts, narratives, and nomenclatures for graphic design portfolios.
- Design a personal overarching theme (visual language) for all portfolio items.
- Apply industry-standard software to demonstrate design skills in developing and assembling a design portfolio.
- Assess graphic design industry employment requirements.
- Prepare print and web portfolios that demonstrate professional skills required for employment.
- Evaluate your own and others' designs for strengths and weaknesses.
- Analyze feedback from stakeholders, customers, or clients for consideration in project refinement.
- Examine and evaluate sample resumes and other employment search documents.
- Demonstrate proficiency in presenting skills.
Effective as of Fall 2023
Major Project and Online Portfolio (GDES 2430) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Business + Media
- Graphic Design
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Major Project and Online Portfolio (GDES 2430)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.