The International Student Entry Program (ISEP) is an academic English language program that prepares students for success at BCIT, and helps them to meet the English requirements of a full-time BCIT Program.
Program delivery mode: in person
- This program will be delivered in person.
- We have put measures in place for your safety and well-being, ensuring that all safety protocols are addressed. Please see the BCIT COVID-19 page for details on the procedures that have been implemented.
Your education is our priority and we will continue to deliver the applied instruction, collaborative experience, and industry connections that you expect from BCIT.
Why Choose ISEP?
Curriculum content is BCIT-focused
- Highly motivating, interesting content
- Field-specific topics to best prepare you for polytechnic education
- Canadian workplace customs and cultural awareness
- Research project on your planned field of study
- BCIT site visits
- Engagement with target learning and work communities
Team work that is active & engaging
- Cohort-like assignments and presentations like in BCIT classes and workplaces in Canada
- Group decision-making, collaboration, and problem-solving
- Every lesson requires active participation
- Modern modes of interaction: in-person, chat, online discussion
Integrated Listening/Speaking & Reading/Writing
- Skills needed for reading transferred to writing
- Skills needed for listening transferred to speaking
- Saved time allows more focus on accuracy and individualized feedback
ISEP update: Fall 2021
ISEP has returned to the classroom in September 2021. Students who are experiencing delays in getting their study permit approved or booking travel to Canada can continue to attend classes online until December 31, 2021.
If you have questions about studying in person at BCIT, BCIT International has created a Frequently Asked Questions page.
Laptops required for in-class activities
Students are required to bring a laptop to class in order to complete class activities through the Learning Hub. Laptops must have a webcam and connect to wi-fi. Students should also have headphones or earbuds with a microphone.
Students can take the online placement test at a day and time of their choosing, up to the placement test deadline for their first term.
ISEP also accepts IELTS Academic scores for placement, as long as they are less than two years old when the student starts ISEP. However, if a student’s IELTS score is older than six months, we recommend they take the ISEP placement test to be most accurately placed.
For more information or to register for the ISEP placement test, please email email@example.com.
Placement with IELTS Score
The information below is only a guideline; the ISEP Curriculum Program Head will evaluate every student’s score to determine their placement.
Students are placed based on paired skills (Listening/Speaking and Reading/Writing) because that is how ISEP classes are taught. For placement in TAE Listening/Speaking, the average of a student’s Listening and Speaking IELTS scores is used. For placement in TAE Reading/Writing, the average of a student’s Reading and Writing IELTS scores is used. Note: Averages are rounded down to the nearest 0.5.
|ISEP Level||IELTS Scores (in paired skills)|
|TAE 5||6.5 average|
|TAE 4||6.0 average|
|TAE 3||5.5 average|
|TAE 2||5.0 average|
|TAE 1||4.5 average* (*4.0 minimum in all skills)|
|Foundations 2||4.0 average* (*3.5 minimum in all skills)|
|Foundations 1||3.5 minimum in all skills|
When students are placed in ISEP, they cannot have more than two levels between TAE Listening/Speaking and TAE Reading/Writing. It is difficult for students to succeed in their higher-level class if they do not have a strong foundational ability in their lower-level class. As a result, students will be placed based on their weaker skills, with the placement for their higher skills adjusted to a maximum of two levels higher.
ISEP – International Student Entry Program
BCIT Downtown Campus
Room 790 – 555 Seymour Street
Vancouver, British Columbia
V6B 3H6, Canada
Questions or comments?
Sign up to receive updates, invitations to events, and information about BCIT and your program.
We promise not to spam you, we won’t share your personal information, and you can unsubscribe at any time.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.