With BCIT’s Advanced Diploma in Technical Arts, you will develop the skills to become a creative problem solver, who can visualize and deliver solutions that bridge the technical and content side of visual effects, game, and animation projects. Technical Artists are in high demand in the digital entertainment and interactive media industry for their ability to integrate and synthesize the artistic vision and technical aspects of projects. They collaborate with artists and programmers to set up and maintain the art production workflow, and identify and develop tools to improve, troubleshoot and streamline the production process.
Program delivery mode: in person
- This program will be delivered in person.
- We have put measures in place for your safety and well-being, ensuring that all safety protocols are addressed. Please see the BCIT COVID-19 page for details on the procedures that have been implemented.
Your education is our priority and we will continue to deliver the applied instruction, collaborative experience, and industry connections that you expect from BCIT.
About the program
Employers value BCIT’s applied, job-ready approach to education and years of experience training students for success in the digital arts sector.
- 1 year to complete – start your technical arts career in 12 months
- Weekend and blended course delivery – earn an advanced level credential while you continue working
- Cohort delivery – build a professional network that will last long after you graduate
- Hands-on, applied courses – develop and refine your technical art and scripting skills
- Project sequence – complete a series of team projects that reflect the day-to-day work environment of a Technical Artist
- Industry instructors – learn from industry professionals with real-world experience in technical arts
Learn more about program goals and how this program prepares you for a career in technical arts on the Program Details page.
Who should apply for the Advanced Diploma in Technical Arts?
This program is right for you if:
- You want a career that combines creativity and imagination with technical expertise.
- You are a programmer with a creative bent, or an artist with an affinity for logic and detail, ready to launch a new career in an exciting field.
- You are already working in the digital entertainment industry and want to expand your skillset and capitalize on growing job opportunities in this emerging area.
- You hold a diploma, degree or equivalent credential, or have a minimum of 5 years work experience in a related field, such as gaming, animation, film, TV, visual effects or programming, and have completed some post-secondary coursework.
- You are well organized and enjoy collaborating with others and working in teams.
If this sounds like you, apply today on the Entry Requirements page, where you will also learn more about entrance requirements for this program.
What graduates can do
Technical Artists work in a broad range of positions related to video game production, animation and visual effects for TV and film, and interactive experiences across all digital platforms, in small boutique studios through to large multinational companies.
Learn more about career opportunities awaiting you on the Graduating and Jobs page.
BCIT’s Advanced Diploma in Technical Arts was developed with extensive industry input to provide you with the applied skills for success in this fast-growing field, including techniques, methodologies and scripting to create production and shading tools, procedural operations and assets for game, film and animation projects.
The Advanced Diploma in Technical Arts program was developed with the support and collaboration of:
As a student in this program, you’ll have access to the most up-to-date, relevant instruction by working industry professionals, and expert consultation. The program incorporates a blend of hands-on lab time, industry-standard projects, collaborative learning opportunities, and individual assignments. All this is designed to give you the most current, job-related skills to help you successfully launch your career as a technical artist.
The Advanced Diploma in Technical Arts program was developed with the support and collaboration of Electronic Arts, Sony Pictures Imageworks, and The Coalition. This program is an Unreal Engine Academic Partner.
Upon successful completion of the Advanced Diploma in Technical Arts, you will be able to:
Design and creation
- Design and develop tools for 3D modeling, texturing, and animation.
- Create procedural shaders for 3D applications and game engines.
- Create animator-friendly rigs for 3D models.
- Perform visual scripting in game engines to automate and enhance the asset pipeline.
- Produce an industry standard project (animation, tools, rigs, and game).
- Apply a broad range of software techniques and methodologies used by studios.
- Plan, design, troubleshoot and carry out a technical art project, from start to finish, with well-defined objectives.
- Track project deliverables and ensure that milestones are met.
- Streamline processes at different stages of art production.
- Communicate effectively with all stakeholders and departments to clarify and advise on goals and actions pertaining to visual effects, animation or game projects.
Communication and teamwork
- Demonstrate effective teamwork and problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrate a professional work ethic.
- Use effective communication strategies for presenting technical arts project proposals related to, for example, development of tools, user interfaces, and assets.
The Advanced Diploma in Technical Arts gives you the applied technical skills instrumental for success in this fast-growing field and responsive to the needs of the global marketplace. The demand for technical artists is growing rapidly.
There are a wide variety of potential job categories/titles for future students. These include, but are not limited to:
- Technical Artist
- Technical Animator
- Computer Graphics Supervisor
- Shader Artist
- Rigging Expert
- Tool Developer
- Game Designer
- Dynamics and Effects artist
Our instructors are well-connected industry professionals. All instructors bring current, relevant experience and first-hand knowledge to the classroom. The artistic and technical knowledge you gain, mixed with hands-on training, prepares you with the foundation for a successful career as a technical artist.
A program advisory committee (PAC), made up of some of BC’s top technical artists and representing a diverse range of companies and sectors, helps keep the Advanced Diploma in Technical Arts up-to-date with the latest industry trends. The PAC also provides guidance regarding the strategic direction of the program, overall trends affecting the curriculum, and the employability of our graduates.
604-453-4032 | Karen_Harvey@bcit.ca
604-451-7032 | Terri_Carde@bcit.ca
Program Head, Technical Arts
604-451-7086 | email@example.com
Contact a Program Advisor with the BCIT program name in the subject line if you have a question about:
- Program selection and program planning
- Applying for transfer credit and advanced placement
- Job placement and graduate outcomes
- Student life
Questions or comments?
Sign up to receive updates, invitations to events, and information about BCIT and your program.
We promise not to spam you, we won’t share your personal information, and you can unsubscribe at any time.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.