The BCIT Sustainable Business Leadership program has a long-standing reputation for producing graduates with job-ready skills to drive sustainable change across industries and sectors. The Sustainable Business Consulting Project provides students with real-life experience by working on sustainable business projects directly with clients in the private, public, and non-profit sectors on a sustainable business challenge their organization is facing. Projects are managed and completed by student project teams under the guidance of their faculty advisor.
Submit your project. Projects submitted before November 15 will be considered for our January start.
What’s in it for Project Sponsors?
- Low-risk approach to your sustainability project
- Possibility of viable solutions by skilled and driven students
- Meet and try out emerging sustainability talent
What skillset can you expect?
- Identifying and promoting sustainability principles in business strategy and operations.
- Selecting and applying sustainable business models and best practices that ensure social equity, respect planetary boundaries, and enable economic viability.
- Advocating for social and environmental governance principles in business policies and procedures.
- Designing sustainable business processes and measuring their effectiveness.
- Forming and managing multidisciplinary teams to implement sustainable business practices.
- Choosing and executing communication strategies appropriate to audience, purpose, and context to advocate for sustainability.
- Taking a systems approach to solving sustainability challenges.
|Sept – Nov||Project proposals submitted to BCIT (Deadline: November 15)|
|December||Faculty and students review and select projects|
|Jan – Mar||Students, Faculty Advisor, and client agree to project details and project begins|
|Mar – Jun||Students complete research, analyze data, write their final report, and prepare their presentation|
|June||Students deliver oral presentation and written report to sponsor|
Project Requirements and Client Commitments
Sustainable Business Consulting Projects propose equitable and sustainable solutions to business challenges and include a combination of the following key elements to align with course learning objectives (past project examples):
- Primary research: potentially including stakeholder surveys, key informant or expert interviews, focus groups.
- Secondary research: potentially including literature review, regulation or policy review, landscape scan, gap analysis.
- Technical analysis: drawing on established methodologies such as a pre-feasibility or SWOT analysis and/or sustainability frameworks like B-Corp, Science-Based Targets, and GRI Standards.
- Communication: drawing on a range of tools to effectively share the findings with the client and project stakeholders.
Should the project be selected, the client commits to being available on a bi-weekly basis during the project term to work with the students and provide information, feedback, and guidance.
For each project that is selected, there is a $500 suggested donation. This donation goes to the BCIT Foundation to support our students. This suggested donation can be waived for not-for-profits, social enterprises, and small businesses if funds would be a barrier.
To get started, please fill out the Sustainable Business Consulting Project [PDF] form and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have any questions about the program or about submitting your form, please contact us at email@example.com.
If you have any additional questions about the BCIT Sustainable Business Consulting Project or the program as a whole, please contact:
Sustainable Business Leadership
Mark Rabin, CEO, Founder, Portable Electric
“Working with BCIT students on this project was amazing. The bright minds that powered the research understood the scope of the project and the complex nature of power in film. The level of professionalism was impressive, and we’re still working with the team to this day.”
Subscribe to the quarterly School of Business + Media industry newsletter.