A BCIT Business Consulting Project provides Business Operations Management students the opportunity to work over a 10 week period with an organization on a process improvement or development process project. Students work in a team of two or three to identify potential opportunities, conduct research, and recommend effective solutions. The end result for your organization is a comprehensive written report and an oral presentation outlining the student team’s recommendations to improve operational effectiveness. The Business Operations Management program accepts approximately 50 project proposals per year.
The Business Operations Management program provides two project seasons each year. The Fall project provides students one day a week to work on-site on a smaller project, while the Spring project provides students three days a week to work on a larger scope project.
|STUDENT SKILLS & SPECIALTY AREAS|
|Business Process Improvement||Supply Chain Management|
|Quality Management||Lean Synchronous Systems|
|Materials Management||Production Management|
|FALL PROJECT TIMETABLE|
|Jun – Aug||Project proposals submitted to BCIT|
|September||Student teams assigned to projects|
|Sept – Nov||Students conduct research, write a report, and prepare their presentation|
|November||Students deliver oral presentation and written report to sponsor|
|SPRING PROJECT TIMETABLE|
|Sept – Nov||Project proposals submitted to BCIT|
|January||Student teams review and select projects|
|Feb – Mar||Students, Faculty Advisor, and Sponsor agree to project details|
|Mar – May||Students conduct research, write a report, and prepare their presentation|
|Mid – May||Students deliver oral presentation and written report to sponsor|
BCIT Business Consulting Project ideas
- How can we reduce product assembly labour time?
- How can we develop an administrative system for employees?
- How can we improve customer service response times and accuracy?
- How can we implement an inventory management system?
- How can we develop a system to monitor work-in process quality?
- What steps can we take to become ISO certified?
BCIT Business Consulting Project requirements
- A clearly defined business operational challenge or problem
- Involve a market research component
- Workspace and administrative services for 2-3 students
- Available three days a week for student visits (Tues – Thurs)
- A $750 donation to the student scholarship fund (taxable benefit)
If you have any additional questions about the BCIT Business Consulting Project program or if you would like to be contacted when the next project opportunity arises please contact:
Business Consulting Project Coordinator
Operations Management Department