The Board of Governors oversees the business interests, management, and long-term development of BCIT.
As the link between the Institute’s senior leadership and British Columbia’s government, the Board of Governors interprets how BCIT implements provincial policies and priorities as detailed in the College and Institute Act.
Much of the Board’s business is initially considered by one of its committees.
For questions relating to Board Governance at BCIT, please contact the Executive Assistant, Governance.
Governors are stewards of the Institute. The Board’s focus is primarily long term and it is actively involved in strategic planning, prioritization of objectives, succession planning and risk management.
The Board has the responsibility to:
- oversee the conduct of business and supervise management
- endeavour to ensure that all major issues affecting the business and affairs of the Institute are given proper consideration
- collectively provide their best judgment, independent of management, ensuring effective achievement and advancement of the public policy objectives for the Institute set by government.
The Board interprets the provincial government’s requirements and objectives to the Senior Team and reports to the Province on its stewardship of the Institute’s resources. The Board is accountable to the Province and the public for the achievement of the public policy objectives of the Institute set by the government.
The Board operates according to a series of established bylaws.
The Board of Governors consists of a range of elected and appointed individuals, representing different interests in the institution, including:
- at least eight members appointed by the Lieutenant-Governor in Council
- one peer-elected faculty member (3 year term)
- one peer-elected support staff member (3 year term)
- two peer-elected students (1 year term)
The Board has two non-voting board members, the President of BCIT, and the Chair of the Education Council.
Government-appointed board members are appointed by the Province of British Columbia. For information on appointment processes and guidelines, please visit the Crown Agencies and Board Resourcing Office.
Members of the board
Order in Council members
BCIT elected members
The Board of Governors established the following Committees to manage different aspects of Board business:
- Executive Committee
- Audit and Finance Committee
- Governance Committee
- Human Resources Committee
- Nominating Committee
Other groups that advise the Board include the Campus Planning & Development Committee, Tributes Committee, Program Advisory Committee and Research Ethics Review Board.
- BCIT Foundation
- BCIT Campaign Cabinet
- BCIT Alumni Association
- Technology Training Associates Ltd (TTA) Board
Meetings & minutes
Open Board meetings are accessible to all. To make a presentation at an open Board meeting, please send a written or an email request to the Executive Assistant, Governance, at least ten days before the meeting and include a brief description of the issue. The Chair and President will consider all requests, those approved will be added to the agenda for an upcoming open meeting. View the 2023 and 2024 Board of Governors meeting calendars. Open meeting material may also be requested by contacting the Executive Assistant, Governance.
- Tuesday May 30, 2023, 1:00 to 2:30 p.m., Burnaby Campus, Royal Oak Boardroom, SE40, 4551 Wayburn Drive, Burnaby, BC, Video Conference
- Tuesday June 27, 2023, 1:00 to 2:30 p.m., Burnaby Campus – Room 2084, 2nd Flr., 3700 Willingdon Avenue, Burnaby, Video Conference
- Tuesday October 3, 2023, 1:00 to 2:30 p.m., Aerospace Campus, CIBC room 198 – 3800 Cessna Road, Richmond, BC, Video Conference
- Tuesday December 5, 2023, 1:00 to 2:30 p.m., Downtown Campus, 2nd Flr., Room 230, 555 Seymour Street, Vancouver, BC, Video Conference
Previous meeting agendas and minutes
- Tuesday April 4, 2023, 1:15 [PDF], 1:15 p.m.
- Tuesday February 28, 2023 [PDF], 1:00 p.m.
- Tuesday, December 6, 2022 [PDF], 1:00 p.m.
- Tuesday, October 4, 2022, 1:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, June 29, 2022, 10:30 a.m.
- Wednesday, June 1, 2022, 1:00 p.m.
- Tuesday, March 29, 2022 [PDF], 1:00 p.m.
- Thursday, February 24, 2022 [PDF], 1:00 p.m.
- Tuesday December 7, 2021 [PDF], 1:00 p.m.
- Tuesday October 5, 2021 [PDF] 1:00 p.m.
- Tuesday June 29, 2021 [PDF] 1:00 p.m.
- Wednesday May 26, 2021 [PDF], 1:00 p.m.
- Wednesday April 21, 2021 [PDF], 8:20 a.m.
- Wednesday, February 17, 2021 [PDF], 1:00 p.m.
- Thursday December 3, 2020 [PDF], 1:00 p.m.
- Tuesday October 6, 2020 [PDF], 8:00 a.m.
- Tuesday June 23, 2020 [PDF], 1:00 p.m.
- Tuesday May 26, 2020 [PDF], 9:00a.m.
- Tuesday March 17, 2020 [PDF], 1:00 p.m.
- Wednesday February 19, 2020 [PDF], 1:00 p.m.