The BCIT Education Council (EdCo) focuses on academic matters, including:
- setting policies, criteria and procedures for awards, academic standing, appeals, and examinations
- defining curriculum content for courses
- advising the Board of Governors on developing educational policies, programs or priorities.
The Council consists of 20 members, all elected for terms of one or two years.
Read more about the election process.
Standing committees and sub-committees
The Council established the following committees (Council sub-groups) to fulfill its legislated mandate:
- Programming Standing Committee:
Reviews all proposals for new programs and major changes, and makes recommendations to Education Council
- Policy Standing Committee:
Reviews all new and revised educational policies and associated procedures, and makes recommendations to EdCo
- Executive Standing Committee:
Coordinates activities for all EdCo activities
- Education Technology and Learning Design Sub-Committee:
Provides strategic guidance and recommendations regarding the implementation and use of educational technology
The Education Council operates according to a series of established by-laws, procedures and standing committees [PDF].
Chair & Vice Chairs 2022–2023
Eric Fry, Chair
Shawna Waberi, Vice Chair
Michael Currie, Vice Chair
Coordinator for the Education Council: Kerri Macmillan
For information on the Education Council, please contact Kerri at 604-432-8529.
Meeting schedule & minutes
See Program Approval Timelines [PDF] for meeting dates. Current and past meeting packages are accessible on the Education Council page on Sharespace.
Meetings are held in SE40, Royal Oak Boardroom on the Burnaby campus from 2:30 – 4:30 p.m. on the following Wednesdays:
Meetings for this academic year
- Sept. 21, 2022
- Nov. 16, 2022
- Feb. 1, 2023
- Mar. 8, 2023
- May 3, 2023
- June 7, 2023