The BCIT Education Council (EdCo) focuses on academic matters, including:
- setting policies, criteria and procedures for awards, academic standing, appeals, and examinations
- defining curriculum content for courses
- advising the Board of Governors on developing educational policies, programs or priorities.
The Council consists of 20 members, all elected for terms of one or two years. Read more about the election process.
EdCo works directly with the Education (5000 series) policies and procedures. In addition, the Glossary of Educational Terms (previously Policy 5100) [PDF] is a resource of terms commonly used in policy and procedures.
Standing committees and sub-committees
The Council established the following committees (Council sub-groups) to fulfill its legislated mandate:
- Programming Standing Committee:
Reviews all proposals for new programs and major changes, and makes recommendations to EdCo
- Policy Standing Committee:
Reviews all new and revised educational policies and associated procedures, and makes recommendations to EdCo
- Executive Standing Committee:
Coordinates activities for all EdCo activities
- Education Technology and Learning Design Sub-Committee:
Provides strategic guidance and recommendations regarding the implementation and use of educational technology
The Education Council operates according to a series of established by-laws, procedures and standing committees [PDF].
Chair & Vice Chairs 2023–2024
Coordinator for the Education Council: Kerri Macmillan
For information on the Education Council, please contact Kerri Macmillan at 604-432-8529.
Meeting schedule & minutes
Education Council and Standing Committee meeting dates [PDF]. Current and past meeting packages are accessible on the Education Council page on ShareSpace.
Meetings for this academic year
Meetings are held in SE40, Royal Oak Boardroom on the Burnaby campus from 2:30 – 4:30 p.m. on the following Wednesdays:
- 7 June 2023
- 20 September 2023
- 15 November 2023
- 7 February 2024
- 20 March 2024
- 1 May 2024
- 5 June 2024 first meeting of the following academic year