When critical incidents occur on campus, BCIT will respond by providing intervention and support to students or employees.
The BCIT procedure on critical incident response provides an immediate, organized and professional response to critical incidents and urgent situations involving students, employees and visitors to the Institute. The procedure is supported by an Incident Management Plan and a Crisis Communication Plan, which outlines the strategies to be used in implementing the Procedure. Implementation of the Incident Management Plan and the Crisis Communication Plan will be the responsibility of the Critical Incident Response Team Coordinator.
The Director of Safety, Security and Emergency Management or designate is the Critical Incident Response Team (CIRT) Coordinator and is responsible to:
- receive calls for response to critical incidents from the BCIT community
- ensure the safety and security of individuals at the scene of a critical incident
- arrange for the timely and coordinated response to individual critical incidents
- develop and implements a Critical Incident Management Action Plan and a Crisis Communication Plan
- develop and implement a reporting responsibility to ensure that executives, departments and schools affected by a critical incident are notified of impacts.