The British Columbia Institute of Technology is dedicated to promoting a safe and healthy work and learning environment for employees and students while representing the Institute on International and Domestic Travel.
Please refer to the International Travel – Risk and Security Policy 7140 [PDF]
BCIT contracts with International SOS as an insurer for employees, to provide medical assistance and evacuation on an emergency basis. International SOS provides additional information services pertaining to threat levels, travel advisories, country facts, travel tips and criminal activity on countries of origin. This service is available to all employees of BCIT while representing the Institute on International business.
The British Columbia Government contracts with AXA Assistance Program as an insurer for students to provide medical services on an emergency basis. This service is available to all students of BCIT while representing the Institute on International business.
Safety, security, & emergency management department
The Safety, Security and Emergency Management Department is responsible for:
- Reviewing requests for authority to travel.
- Conducting a risk assessment upon receipt of a request for authority to travel.
- Recommending approval based on a risk assessment.
- Providing a training program for employees or students representing the Institute while traveling internationally.
- Maintaining the travel status of employees and students.
- Managing a travel locator internet application.
- Restricting travel to countries that become high-risk for safety, security, or global health conditions.
- Manage the response to an emergency event involving employees or students.