Would you like your employees to improve their communication skills? One of these industry services options may help:
Customized industry courses
BCIT’s Communication Department frequently adapts training to suit industry needs. We can offer your group a closed custom course in person at one of our campuses or at your location, completely online, or in a hybrid format.
Our courses include 18-48 instructional hours from a proven instructor over a span of 6-12 weeks: we believe the only way to significantly improve writing is over time and with practice. Our tried and tested curriculum can be modified to include your own sample documents and templates. Your staff will be registered as BCIT students, and have the option of taking the course for credit – or as auditors with no grade assigned; the achievement will appear on their transcript.
Content of these in-depth courses may include:
- Business Writing Basics (intro to business style, and direct letters, memos and emails)
- Writing Persuasive Business Messages (review of business style, persuasive and “bad news” letters, and organizational messages
- Business Reports (review of business style, short informal reports, and intro to formal reports)
- Public Speaking and Business Presentations (informational presentations, persuasive presentations, and public speaking tips)
- Business Communications and Team Work (team skills, team and project charters, agendas, minutes, and running meetings)
- Executive Writing Style (writing with style and grace, communicating with employees, and communicating with stakeholders)
For more information on custom training, contact the Continuing Education Program Head, Shannon Kelly, at 604.451.7065.
Continuing education courses
Many companies choose simply to send their employees to our focused, hands-on communication courses, offered conveniently at night, on weekends, or by distance and online learning. Core Communication courses include:
- COMM 1103 – Introduction to Business and Technical Communication
- COMM 2202 – Business and Technical Correspondence
- COMM 2203 – Business and Technical Reports
For more information about these courses, contact the Continuing Education Program Head, Shannon Kelly, at 604.451.7065.
Technical writing courses
Technical Writing Certificate courses, which can be taken on a course-by-course basis, are designed by industry professionals. These courses can help improve employees’:
- core writing skills
- ability to write for technical subjects
- document management skills
- ability to write for the web
- graphics, illustrating and formatting skills
- ability to use software applications.
Consulting services for industry
Our Communication Department is staffed by experts in written and oral communication. Many of our instructors have come to BCIT from careers in technical or business writing and from the broadcast and advertising industries. Our staff can take anything from manuals to business plans from concept to completion.
If you or your company are interested in our consulting services, please contact the Continuing Education Program Head, Shannon Kelly, at 604.451.7065
Language assessment services
The Communication Department provides opportunities to assess English language proficiency in several areas:
- reading comprehension
As a follow-up, several options to improve language proficiency are available; including short intensive workshops, seminars, or simply access to on-line materials to enhance improvement areas determined by the assessment.