SoCAS is integral to BCIT
We play a significant role in supporting high-tech business in BC, as well as providing English-language support and academic core courses that stream into BCIT technology programs.
The School of Computing and Academic studies:
- is the largest provincial provider of computing graduates
- has some of the largest and most extensive programs of their kind in BC and beyond, including Computer Systems Technology
- has the most extensive Part-time Studies computing offering in Western Canada
- has a math department ranked in the top 10 schools in North America in delivery of technical mathematics
- has the most comprehensive Forensic Science and Technology program of its kind in Canada
We sat down with Fariba Pacheleh, BCIT Computing Program Advisory Committee (PAC) Chair, to learn more about her experience as an immigrant woman in STEM and to find out what led her to be such a dedicated leader and mentor in the technology community.
Only 10% of STEM graduates are in computer science. Microsoft set out to change those statistics with the launch of their Technology Education and Literacy in Schools (TEALS) program. And instructor Carly Orr was tapped to help develop the TEALS resources for the Canadian audience.