At BCIT, you can choose from a variety of courses and programs to fit your needs. Based on the type of learning experience, BCIT categorizes delivery modes into three categories: In person, Blended, and Online.
Below are definitions explaining the differences between the delivery modes at a program-level and at a course-level so you are better prepared for your experience at BCIT.
A Program is a collection of courses organized into levels or terms (also called program matrices) that lead to various credentials.
Program delivery modes include:
- In person: All courses in the program are delivered in person and require students to attend campus.
- Blended: Some courses are delivered on campus and some are online in the program. Students will need to attend campus for part of their program.
- Online: All courses in the program are entirely online and do not require students to attend campus.
How to view program delivery modes:
Program delivery mode is displayed on program overview pages.
A Course is a single instructional subject comprised of classes that facilitate student learning. Classes can be taught through lectures, labs, seminars, practicums, or other instructional methods. BCIT courses are commonly described by subject code, number, and title.
Course delivery modes include:
- In person: All course contents and learning activities are delivered in person.
- Blended: Course contents and learning activities are delivered through a combination of in person and online.
- Online: All course contents and learning activities are delivered entirely online. Students and faculty can interact:
- Asynchronously: Students and faculty do not interact with each other in real-time, simultaneously. There are no scheduled class meeting times.
- Synchronously: Students and faculty interact with each other in real-time, simultaneously, during scheduled class meeting times.
Courses can be delivered online both synchronously and asynchronously.
How to view course delivery modes:
On the BCIT Flexible Learning course webpage, a course delivery mode is displayed under Class meeting times’ Location. The course specific information can be found under Important information.