Delivery Mode: BLENDED
- This program will be delivered during COVID-19 as a combination of online and on-campus learning.
- Faculty will notify students of when their attendance on campus will be required.
- We are putting measures in place for your safety and well-being, ensuring that all safety protocols are addressed. Please see BCIT COVID-19 Return to Operations for details on the mandatory procedures that have been implemented.
- Your education is our priority and we will continue to deliver the applied instruction, collaborative experience, and industry connections that you expect from BCIT.
The Environmental Engineering program is intended to provide the additional skills and knowledge that engineering and science graduates require to successfully work on environmental assignments such as sustainability management, air quality, climate change, environmental impact assessment, life cycle assessment, contaminated sites, water treatment facilities, contaminant hydrogeology, integrated solid waste management, resource management, and green energy technology projects.
The Environmental Engineering program recognizes the wide range of science and engineering backgrounds associated with this industry and is structured to accommodate the needs of a diverse range of applicants. The combination of foundation courses, applied environmental engineering courses, management courses and communication and general education courses provides a unique balance of skill sets that prepares candidates for a broad range of career opportunities. The final, capstone project provides the opportunity for students to demonstrate the acquired depth and breadth of knowledge and skills learnt during the program. While many participants pursue this degree for the credential, others are seeking professional development to complement their existing professional and university credentials.
Featured Industry Supporter
Costs & Supplies
Note: The Environmental Engineering program curriculum has been revised effective for the September 2019 intake.
Students that began the program prior to September 2019 please refer to the April 2019 matrix [PDF].
Graduating & Jobs
Graduates of the Environmental Engineering program are prepared to function as a member of a multi-disciplinary team that addresses the environmental challenges faced by the industry. Working as a member of an environmental team comprised of engineers, hydrogeologists, and environmental managers, chemists, biologists, toxicologists, climatologists, and energy managers, graduates will be uniquely positioned to operate across disciplinary boundaries.
Faculty, Advisors & Staff
Olga Petrov, PhD (Chemical & Biological Engineering)
Ray Koenig, BSc, BBA, PGeo
Zahra Tooyserkani, PhD
- Andrew Marr, BASc, PEng, CCEP
- Brenda Martens, BSc, LEED Fellow, CSBA
- Carol De La Franier, MASc, PEng
- Dan Kovacek, BSc, P.Eng
- Diane Grady, BASc, PhD
- Don Livingstone, MASc, PEng
- Fiona Lemon, BSc, MA, TESL
- Goran Krstic, PhD, R.P.Bio.
- Inder Singh, MASc, PEng
- Jason Azzam, EP, EMS-LA, ENV SP
- Kim Hopkins, BA, Ad. Dipl. GIS
- Marcel Pitre, BASc, PEng
- Maria Tirado, PhD
- Paul Litt, PEng
- Rob Sianchuk, MASc
- Selina Lee-Andersen, JD, MA
- Timo Makinen, PEng, MRM, MBA
- Tracy Casavant, MES, PEng
- Yao Hung Lan, MASc, PEng
- Zoran Milacic, BSc, P.Log., EP
- Brian S. White, PEng., (Chair), Division Manager – Environmental Services, McElhanney Consulting Services Ltd.
- Al Gibb, Ph.D., PEng., Director, Wastewater Treatment, WSP
- Arvind Saraswat, Senior Project Engineer, Metro Vancouver
- Cindy Yu, BSc., Meteorologist, Environment and Climate Change Canada; Local Executive, Canadian Meteorological and Oceanographic Society
- Eric Choi, PEng., Senior Environmental Engineer, Senior Manager & Partner, Envirochem Services Inc
- Travis Hickford-Kulak, Vice President, Contract Utilities and Energy Systems, District Energy Canada, Corix Utilities Inc
Questions or comments?
Sign up to receive updates, invitations to events, and information about BCIT and your program.
We promise not to spam you, we won’t share your personal information, and you can unsubscribe at any time.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.