Effective projects must be completed on time and on budget. Sustainability requires addressing environmental and social concerns, and the economic conditions that impact and drive projects. This course introduces the principles of project management based on the standard Project Management Institute framework. Management concepts cover all knowledge areas and process groups. Environmental project is used as a case study to illustrate the project management topics and to introduce students to the three spheres of sustainable project management. Students will apply project management principles and include environmental considerations such as ecological impacts during project planning, implementation, and after commissioning as well as use environmental performance assessment tools. A significant portion of the course will be dedicated to communication strategies involving stakeholder engagement, negotiations, Indigenous Peoples communication and consultation, frequency and timing of public consultation and/or involvement as well as social considerations.
- 50% in EENG 7200
- Not offered this term
- This course is not offered this term. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive notifications of future course offerings and other opportunities to learn more about this course and related programs.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Discuss complex issues associated with engineering project management within the context of specific sample projects.
- Write key project management artifacts including communication plan and stakeholders' engagement plan and present one mock environmental engineering project with respect to planning and implementation aimed at attaining sustainability.
- Utilize project management tools and techniques in the context of environmental engineering projects.
- Utilize appropriate communication skills and negotiating techniques with stakeholders including Indigenous Peoples.
Effective as of Winter 2020
Project Management and Communication Strategies (EENG 8440) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Construction and the Environment
- Environmental Engineering
Bachelor of Technology Full-time/Part-time
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Project Management and Communication Strategies (EENG 8440)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.