Effective projects must be completed on time and on budget. Sustainability requires addressing environmental and social concerns, and the economic conditions that impact and drive projects. This course introduces the principles of project management based on the standard Project Management Institute framework. Management concepts cover all knowledge areas and process groups. Environmental project is used as a case study to illustrate the project management topics and to introduce students to the three spheres of sustainable project management. Students will apply project management principles and include environmental considerations such as ecological impacts during project planning, implementation, and after commissioning as well as use environmental performance assessment tools. A significant portion of the course will be dedicated to communication strategies involving stakeholder engagement, negotiations, Indigenous Peoples communication and consultation, frequency and timing of public consultation and/or involvement as well as social considerations.
- 50% in EENG 7200
Below is one offering of EENG 8440 for the Winter 2023 term.
Thu Jan 05 - Thu Apr 20 (15 weeks)
- 15 weeks
- CRN 87443
Class meeting times
|Jan 05 - Apr 20||Thu||18:30 - 21:30||Burnaby SW03 Rm. 1710|
- Departmental approval needed
RESERVED: Course registration is restricted to students currently admitted in the EE program. Students must meet all pre-requisites and co-requisites. BEFORE YOU REGISTER, you must email Program Assistant email@example.com for permission to take this course. Include your BCIT ID A#. No class during Reading break: Feb 21-24.
This course offering is in progress. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive email updates.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Discuss complex issues associated with engineering project management within the context of specific sample projects.
- Write key project management artifacts including communication plan and stakeholders' engagement plan and present one mock environmental engineering project with respect to planning and implementation aimed at attaining sustainability.
- Utilize project management tools and techniques in the context of environmental engineering projects.
- Utilize appropriate communication skills and negotiating techniques with stakeholders including Indigenous Peoples.
Effective as of Winter 2020
Project Management and Communication Strategies (EENG 8440) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Construction and the Environment
- Environmental Engineering
Bachelor of Technology Full-time/Part-time
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Project Management and Communication Strategies (EENG 8440)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.