The course starts off with providing an overview of the Canadian legal system and fundamentals of environmental law and policy. The roles of federal, provincial, and local governments as well as Indigenous peoples in environmental protection and sustainable development are explained. Current environmental issues will be covered as case studies in light of laws and regulations. Course continues with a focus on the key elements of sustainability management systems (SMS) and processes involved in managing the environmental and health and safety aspects of an operation or organization. Students will learn how to develop and implement a SMS, which integrates sustainability into consideration and management of environmental aspects of an organization as well as the laws, policies, commitments, regulations and other drivers.
- 50% in EENG 7200
- Not offered this term
- This course is not offered this term. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive notifications of future course offerings and other opportunities to learn more about this course and related programs.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Apply the constitution and case law to determine jurisdiction, degree of conflict or harmonization with respect to environmental protection issues.
- Carry on a legal analysis of an environmental issue.
- Discuss the Indigenous peoples' and other parties' (stakeholders) rights and responsibilities and environmental law.
- Discuss the most commonly used Environmental Management Systems (EMS) including ISO 14001 and EMAS
- Integrate social and financial concerns into an EMS to create a Sustainability Management System (SMS).
- Rank environmental and social impacts in terms of importance and assess potential targets for their ability to mitigate risks and minimize impacts.
- Achieve targets by developing policies, programs and initiatives and integrating them into existing corporate culture.
- Track the success of programs by identifying, recording and monitoring Key Performance Indicators (metrics) and taking corrective actions when necessary.
- Analyze and present critical information for the purposes of internal and external auditing and reporting on the SMS.
Effective as of Fall 2019
Legal Matters and Sustainability Management Systems (EENG 8400) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Construction and the Environment
- Environmental Engineering
Bachelor of Technology Full-time/Part-time
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Legal Matters and Sustainability Management Systems (EENG 8400)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.