This course introduces various aspects of landfill planning, operations, and design and utilizes practical examples from landfills in BC. Acts and Regulations governing landfills, industry research, and operational improvements over time are evaluated. Acts and Regulations governing environmental impacts stemming from landfill operations are also presented. State-of-the-art environmental control strategies currently in use are illustrated. Potential environmental impacts are analyzed. An overview of potential hazardous wastes will be introduced. Practical strategies for minimizing leachate generation, surface water run-off, landfill gas generation and composition, odour, litter, animal, and dust control are evaluated.
- 50% in EENG 8410
- Not offered this term
- This course is not offered this term through BCIT Part-time Studies. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive email updates.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Discuss the various aspects of solid waste composition (including potential hazardous waste), management and the multidisciplinary tasks associated with practical landfill management within the context of current BC regulations.
- Examine landfill planning factors that affect operations, siting, and environmental controls.
- Outline sustainable landfill operational criteria and requirements to enable effective day-to-day operations.
- Develop an operational plan for efficient and appropriate landfill closure.
- Discuss regulations pertaining to environmental controls and environmental management at solid waste facilities in BC.
- Discuss potential environmental impacts with respect to leachate generation, surface water runoff, landfill gas generation and nuisance issues.
- Develop an environmental monitoring program for a solid waste facility.
Effective as of Fall 2019
Landfill Design and Operation (EENG 8445) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Construction and the Environment
- Environmental Engineering
Bachelor of Technology Full-time/Part-time
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Landfill Design and Operation (EENG 8445)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.