The learners are presented to a variety of research methods and techniques needed for the preparation of their graduating and research projects in general. Starting off with critical analysis of scientific papers both from natural and social sciences, learners are preparing background information for their research, annotated bibliographies, literature review and selecting appropriate research methods. Quantitative and qualitative research methods will be presented along with examples for their application. Preparation and presentation of project proposal which also includes proposing sustainable solutions and recommendations are the main goal of the course
Completed Term 1 and Term 2 courses.
- This course isn't currently offered through BCIT Part-time Studies. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive email updates.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Critically analyze engineering and scientific peer reviewed publication.
- Properly define project scope.
- Employ different research designs such as: ex post facto and experimental.
- Select an appropriate research method.
- Apply statistical tools for results analyses.
- Prepare a research proposal including the research topic background information, literature review, research methods, statistical data presentation, and project milestones.
- Present results in a logical and professional manner.
- Relate engineering and scientific issues with environment and society.
- Apply principles of sustainability to engineering and scientific projects.
Effective as of Fall 2019
Applied Research Methods (EENG 8430) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Construction and the Environment
- Environmental Engineering
Bachelor of Technology Full-time/Part-time
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Applied Research Methods (EENG 8430)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.