This course focuses on sustainability of the petroleum (oil and gas) and mining industry with emphasis on environmental impacts associated with extraction, production, storage, distribution and utilization of industrial products and services. The course discusses oil and gas extraction process, petroleum refining, and mine development and offers commentary on developments in cleaner technologies in the resource sector. The regulatory framework of these industries is also addressed along with adaptive management strategies aimed at preventing ecosystem destruction due to extraction activities. Sustainability management systems, risk communication and emergency response to incidents will also be covered.
- This course isn't currently offered through BCIT Part-time Studies. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive email updates.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Outline the oil and gas industry structure and processes of extraction, petroleum refining, crude and product storage and distribution including the characteristics of crude oil and natural gas.
- Outline the mining and extractive metallurgy industrial processes in Canada.
- Analyze environmental impacts of mining, oil and gas processes and activities.
- Discuss pollution control measures commonly utilized in the petroleum and mining industry.
- Outline emergency response to petroleum spills.
- Assess general safety and environmental control measures applicable to mining and petroleum industries.
- Develop a restoration plan for a mining, oil and gas (MOG) site.
- Propose mitigation, remedial and restorative measures to MOG sites.
- Critique a given Adaptive Management Plan case-study considering a mining or petroleum industrial project.
- Analyze the regulatory framework for petroleum and mining industries.
Effective as of Fall 2019
Mining, Oil & Gas Development & Restoration (EENG 8450) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Construction and the Environment
- Environmental Engineering
Bachelor of Technology Full-time/Part-time
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Mining, Oil & Gas Development & Restoration (EENG 8450)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.