BCIT’s Occupational Health and Safety Diploma program is the most comprehensive training of its kind in Canada. Students learn the skills they need to start a great career in health and safety, in any industry and workplace.
Program delivery mode: in person
- This program will be delivered in person for the coming semester.
- We have put measures in place for your safety and well-being, ensuring that all safety protocols are addressed. Please see the BCIT COVID-19 page for details on the procedures that have been implemented.
Your education is our priority and we will continue to deliver the applied instruction, collaborative experience, and industry connections that you expect from BCIT.
About the program
Our grads learn the operations of health and safety and the business side, including human resources, communication, decision-making, and leadership. This is what sets it apart from our Certificate program , which is geared to experienced individuals looking to move into health and safety roles within their existing industry.
- Two-year, full-time diploma program
- On-campus lectures and labs with case studies for practical workplace analysis
- Field work and an industry practicum give you hands-on experience
Our program has courses in every area of workplace safety. We prepare you from day one. Click on Program Details to discover more about the OCHS Diploma program.
Who it’s for
This program is for individuals who:
- Enjoy working with people and teams and have an interest in leadership
- Care about creating safe and healthy workplaces for others<
- Are keen to build tactical and innovative thinking skills
- Have a high school diploma or higher level of education
Does this sound like you? See Program Entry on applying to the program.
What grads can do
BCIT delivers what employers want – skilled and driven individuals. Ninety-five per cent of our Diploma students are hired within two months of graduation. These graduates found work in a wide array of positions including safety inspection, management, planning, and training.
See Graduating and Jobs to learn more about careers in Occupational Health and Safety.
Costs & Supplies
The science-oriented diploma program combines studies in safety, health, engineering and business. This ideal combination prepares the student to understand the potential safety and health hazards of the work environment, as well as the human relations involved in improving the workplace environment.
Graduating & Jobs
Our grads get work
BCIT has a national reputation as a leader in occupational health and safety education. Employers often visit our classrooms to recruit because they know what to expect: our Diploma grads deliver amazing results wherever they are.
Occupational health and safety is a dynamic, collaborative career. Our focus on business and leadership skills gives students the tools they need to manage, implement, and drive health and safety initiatives in any workplace.
Annual salary starts from $65,000 – $95,000, with contract work from $40 – $100 per hour in jobs such as:
- OCHS coordinator
- OCHS environmental specialist
- OCHS officer, advisor, or manager
- OCHS environmental or security director
Occupational health and safety careers offer room to grow. In later stages of their career, many of our grads find work in areas such as advanced leadership, human resources, and in MBA programs.
Faculty, Advisors & Staff
If you want to discuss the program in more detail, contact the Program Head, Bobby_Sidhu@bcit.ca or call 604-456-8123.
Questions or comments?
Sign up to receive updates, invitations to events, and information about BCIT and your program.
We promise not to spam you, we won’t share your personal information, and you can unsubscribe at any time.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.