This course covers some of the sampling strategies, design and implementation of sampling plans, and analytical methods used to determine common pollutants in ambient and indoor air, water and wastewater. The students also practice the interpretation of results. Major industrial pollution issues, typical chemical species, their impacts and environmental concerns are discussed. Field and lab safety, calibration of instruments and practical application of instrumentation in accordance with standard sampling and testing methods and regulations are covered in the laboratory periods.
- Not offered this term
- This course is not offered this term through BCIT Part-time Studies. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive email updates.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Critically analyze environmental issues in order to select appropriate sampling and analytical methods to quantitatively and qualitatively assess the magnitude of environmental contamination/pollution.
- Demonstrate the use of sampling techniques and analytical methods to determine common pollutants in air, water, and wastewater following the standard procedures.
- Discuss the theory and principles of operation of various instruments and sampling media used for collection and determination of gases, vapours, microbiologicals and particulates in the air.
- Prepare sampling media for field sampling/testing.
- Apply statistical tools and modeling applications to process, analyze and interpret data obtained in environmental sampling and analyses.
- Prepare comprehensive field and laboratory reports with numerical and graphical representation of results, discussion, sources of errors in sampling procedures conclusions and recommendations.
Effective as of Fall 2020
Environmental Sampling and Testing Methods I (EENG 7445) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Construction and the Environment
- Environmental Engineering
Bachelor of Technology Full-time/Part-time
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Environmental Sampling and Testing Methods I (EENG 7445)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.