A bursary is a non-repayable award granted to a full-time student who is progressing satisfactorily in their BCIT credential program, who submits a completed full-time student bursary application form, and who demonstrates that they are in need of financial assistance to complete their current academic period. You are a full-time student if you are enrolled in 60% or more of a 100% course load.
To be considered for a bursary you must:
- Be a citizen or a permanent resident of Canada.
- Be enrolled in a StudentAidBC-eligible BCIT credential program (credential programs lead to a certificate, diploma or degree).
- Be enrolled as a full-time student at BCIT during the bursary academic period (full-time is defined as 60% or more of a 100% course load).
- Have successfully completed a term/level of full-time study in their program (or 4 months of full-time study for those programs which are not term or level based) at BCIT in the last 12 months, with no Fail, Unsatisfactory or Incomplete grades during the most recent term/4 months of study.
- Have a minimum average of 60% in prior full-time studies at BCIT (Technology students).
- Have applied and been assessed for financial need by the StudentAid BC (or the government student assistance loan program from your home province if you are not a BC resident).
- Document financial need by completing a bursary application form.
- Be enrolled in one of the Technology or Trades program levels/terms/intake dates that is included on the posted list of bursary-eligible programs for that deadline (for the fall October 30 and the spring June 30 deadlines).
Note: You can only receive BCIT full-time student bursaries once per calendar year (January 1 to December 31), or one time per program if program is 12 months or less.
As funds are limited, bursaries are awarded to those students who demonstrate that they have exhausted all other sources of financial assistance.
Some bursaries are restricted to specific applicants (e.g. hometown, geographic region, union affiliation, gender, etc.). On the last page of the application, identify any Specified Bursaries you are eligible for and wish to apply for.
How to apply
Please submit your completed application by email to email@example.com prior to the application deadline.
Note: All applicants are notified of bursary decisions in writing.
Details and deadlines by term
Expand each section below to find the term-specific application period, application form, deadline, and bursary eligibility list.
Applications must be received by the BCIT Student Financial Aid & Awards Office by 4:00 pm on the deadline date (or next business day).
Note: Our fillable forms are not compatible with all internet browsers. If you are having trouble with the fillable forms, please use a different browser.
Terms and conditions
Students who wish to appeal the decision for their bursary application may submit a BCIT bursary appeal [PDF] request and must attach a letter with their appeal form outlining their exceptional circumstances.
Awarded bursaries are subject to cancellation. Students that withdraw, reduce their course load, or no longer meet the bursary eligibility criteria may have to forfeit all or part of their award. This decision will be made by Student Financial Aid and Awards. A cancelled award will be charged against the student’s BCIT account.