- health care management & administration
- health care quality improvement
- health informatics
- clinical trials administration
- literature resources
- job search resources
Associations and professional societies
- Canadian College of Health Leaders is a national not-for-profit professional association for health services management executives. In British Columbia, the CCHL has local chapters in the Lower Mainland, Interior, North, and Vancouver Island.
- Emerging Health Leaders (EHL) supports the development of emerging health leaders through knowledge exchange networks and events held by local groups across Canada. It is “a network developed for new health professionals, by new health professionals.” For EHL activities in British Columbia, check out the EHL-Vancouver node.
- Canadian Patient Safety Institute (CPSI). An independent not-for-profit corporation, that operates collaboratively with health professionals and organizations, regulatory bodies and governments to build and advance a safer healthcare system for Canadians. CPSI performs a coordinating and leadership role across health sectors and systems, promotes leading practices and raises awareness with stakeholders, patients and the general public about patient safety. In April 2005, CPSI launched the Safer Healthcare Now! campaign, aimed at reducing error-related injuries by focusing on six evidence-based measures and through over 200 local organizations, based on the IHI’s 100,000 lives campaign.
- Institute for Healthcare Improvement (IHI) is a Boston-based, independent not-for-profit organization working since 1991 to accelerate improvement in health care systems in the United States, Canada and Europe by fostering collaboration rather than competition among health care organizations. You can view the IHI monthly newsletter from their website.
- Joint Commission, the American equivalent to CCHSA, evaluates and accredits nearly 19,000 health care organizations and programs in the United States. An independent, not-for-profit organization, the Joint Commission is the nations predominant standards-setting and accrediting body in health care. Since 1951, the Joint Commission has developed state-of-the-art, professionally based standards and evaluated the compliance of health care organizations against these benchmarks.
- National Forum for Health Care Quality Measurement and Reporting (National Quality Forum or NQF) is a not-for-profit membership organization established as a public-private partnership in the US, created to develop and implement a national strategy for health care quality measurement and reporting. A shared sense of urgency about the impact of health care quality on patient outcomes, workforce productivity, and health care costs prompted leaders in the public and private sectors to create the NQF as a mechanism to bring about national change.
- Canadian Institute for Health Research (CIHR) is Canada’s premier federal agency for health research. Its objective is to excel, according to internationally-accepted standards of scientific excellence, in the creation of new knowledge and its translation into improved health for Canadians, more effective health services and products , a strengthened health care system.
- Juran Institute is a pioneer and world leader in managing for breakthrough results and Six Sigma quality. For the past 20 years, their research, consulting and training has enabled client organizations to increase product and service quality; reduce costs associated with poor quality; and, heighten competitive edge.
- iSix Sigma. Provides free information resources to help business professionals successfully implement Quality within their organizations
Associations and professional societies
- BC Health Information Management Professionals Society (BCHIMPS)
- Canadian Nursing Informatics Association (CNIA)
- Digital Health Canada
- Canadian Health Information Management Association (CHIMA)
- Information Technology Association of Canada (ITAC – HEALTH) – Healthcare and ICT
Governments and government-affiliated not-for-profit organizations
- Canada Health Infoway
- Canadian Institute for Health Information (CIHI)
- CANARIE Inc. has the mission of accelerating Canada’s advanced Internet development and use by facilitating the widespread adoption of faster, more efficient networks and by enabling the next generation of advanced products, applications and services to run on them.
- Health Canada – Health Care System – eHealth
- British Columbia
- BCIT MAKE+ applied research group, part of the Centre for Applied Research and Innovation (CARI)
- ACTION for health
- Centre for Global eHealth Innovation
- American Medical Informatics Association (AMIA)
- American Telemedicine Association
- American Health Information Management Association
- College of Healthcare Information Management Executives
- Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society (HIMSS)
- Institute for Operations Research and the Management Sciences
- National Institutes of Health (NIH)
- International Medical Informatics Association (IMIA)
- LifeSciences British Columbia ,formerly known as BC Biotech supports and represents the biotechnology, medical device, and greater life sciences community of British Columbia through leadership, advocacy and promotion.
- Society of Clinical Research Associates (SoCRA) is a not-for-profit, professional organization dedicated to the continuing education and development of clinical research professionals.
- Association of Clinical Research Professionals (ACRP) is a not-for-profit, professional association comprised of more than 20,000 individuals dedicated to clinical research and development.
- Canadian Institute of Health Research (CIHR). Provides policy that apply to researchers and their institutions.
- Health Canada Therapeutic Products Directorate contains links to resources required for sale of drug products in Canada including legislation, guidelines, applications and submissions, fees, patented medicines, drug product and company information, compliance notices and listings.
- Vancouver Coastal Health Research Institute, Research Education Program offers various seminars and workshops.
- CenterWatch is a clinical trials listing service that serves as a resource for research professionals and patients interested in participating in clinical trials.
- (USA) site provides the code of US federal regulations and a searchable database.
Online resources available to BCIT students (student ID required)
- BCIT library
- EBSCOhost Research Databases (ABI/Inform Journal Database)
- Health Informatics Journal (Sage Publications)
- ProQuest (ABI/Inform Journal Database)
- Ovid databases
- Gartner Group Research Services, accessible through the BCIT ITS Knowledge Base
Online resources available to everyone
- Canadian Healthcare Technology e-Newsletter
- Journal of Healthcare Information Management
- Longwoods Publishing
- Healthcare Quarterly
- Healthcare Papers
- Electronic Healthcare
- Nursing Leadership (CJNL)
- Healthcare Policy
- Healthcare Informatics Online
- Healthcare Financial Management Magazine
- Telemedicine Today Magazine
- eJobs is BCITs own web-based job posting system, helping students and alumni find work on and off-campus.
- Monster.com is a leading global online network for careers, connecting the most progressive companies with the most qualified career-minded individuals. Monster is a network of sites in the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Netherlands, Belgium, Australia and France, with additional sites to launch soon in Germany and Singapore.
- Government of British Columbia is a major employer of approximately 40,000 people located throughout the province. The BC Public Service offers opportunities in many career areas including health.
- Workopolis is Canada’s leading provider of Internet recruitment and job search solutions.