Each learner is assigned an instructor who is available to assist both you and your learner throughout the preceptorship experience.
The BCIT BSN Preceptorship Instructor:
- Collaborates with the preceptor in the supervision and evaluation of the learner’s clinical performance.
- Educates the preceptor on the learner’s skill level and collaborates with the preceptor to ensure appropriate learner assignments and clinical experiences.
- Communicates assignments and other essential information to the agencies.
- Communicates BCIT’s policies and clinical outcomes.
- Provides support and assistance to address any incidents (i.e., medication errors, injuries, etc.).
- Meets regularly with the clinical preceptor and the learner in order to monitor and evaluate the learning experience.
- Supports preceptor to give effective, constructive feedback to the learner.
- Assists, facilitates or collaborates on/with preceptor strategies to support clinical reasoning and judgement.
- Monitors learner progress through learner clinical debriefs, learner-faculty-preceptor conferences and review of learner clinical assignments.
- Collaborates with learner to address learning needs and integrate strategies when needed.
- Is readily available, e.g., telephone, or email for consultation when learners are in the clinical area.
- Intervenes to assist learner and preceptor when challenges emerge.
- Receives feedback from the preceptor regarding learner performance.
- Provides feedback to preceptor regarding the clinical learning experience.
- Provides recognition to the preceptor for participation as a preceptor
The BCIT Preceptorship Instructor is an employee of BCIT and maintains current BCCNM licensure.