The BCIT BSN Preceptorship instructor is an employee of BCIT and maintains current CRNBC licensure.
The BSN Preceptorship instructor:
- Initiates and maintains a professional collaborative relationship with preceptor, clinical nurse educator and unit manager.
- Interprets BCIT’s philosophy, policies and clinical outcomes.
- Ensures the educational needs of the student are available in practice placements.
- Assists the preceptor in implementing skills related to providing feedback, teaching and supervision.
- Supports preceptor in facilitating student achievement of course outcomes.
- Visits clinical agencies/focus of practice areas at arranged times to meet with preceptor and student.
- Intervenes to assist student and preceptor when challenges emerge. Assists student in writing/modifying learning plan and goals if necessary.
- Is available to deal with student/preceptor incidents (medication errors, injuries).
- In specified focus of practice areas, collaborates with BCIT specialty nursing instructor.
- Provides timely feedback on assignments.
- Participates in clinical evaluation and is available to provide extra assistance to student and preceptor as required.
- Encourages student participation in course evaluation.
- Recommends the student’s final grade.