BCIT considers international students as having full-time status if they are enrolled in:
- A Full-time Program: Students are automatically registered in a set of courses in a term-based cohort model, and course-by-course registration is not required.
BCIT considers international students as having part-time status if they are enrolled in:
- A Part-time Program with less than 3 courses and 9 credits each term: Students self-register course-by-course.
International students with part-time status will NOT be eligible for:
What is considered as full-time status at BCIT?
International students who are enrolled in courses from part-time programs and want to be considered as having full-time status must meet the following requirements:
- Take a minimum of 3 courses worth at least 9 credits each term
- One of the 3 courses can be an online course each term, provided that international students study within Canada
- Study all 3 terms (fall, winter, spring/summer)
Students who have maintained full-time status throughout their studies may, in their final academic term only, take fewer than 9 credits without affecting their full-time status.
Scheduled breaks for full-time programs at BCIT
The period of time when there are no scheduled classes such as winter break, reading break, or summer term break. Note that certain condensed programs may not have any scheduled breaks. Contact your program area for more details about any scheduled breaks that you may have.
Scheduled breaks for part-time programs at BCIT
The period of time when there are no scheduled classes between terms. Maintaining a full-time course load in the term directly before and after a particular break is a requirement in order to be eligible to work off-campus during the break between terms in part-time studies programs.
Students can not create breaks other than the scheduled breaks defined above. If you choose to take a leave from your studies, you will be considered as “no longer enrolled.”