Introduction to Marketing
While many people equate marketing with advertising, marketing is so much more. It encompasses business functions in the key areas of developing goods and services, making pricing decisions, executing promotional strategies, and managing distribution.
Introduction to Marketing is designed for people new to the world of marketing who want to gain an understanding of these essential business functions. Whether you are a student, a small business owner, or just a naturally curious consumer, this course will help you understand the foundations of marketing.
Course number: MOOC-0311
Course title: Introduction to Marketing
Completion criteria: Review all the content in the course
Registration fee: None
The course may be used as a refresher before taking another marketing course or may be used by anyone who wants to gain personal knowledge of marketing.
The course consists of seven independent study modules that learners can work through at their own pace. To accommodate different learning styles, the material is presented in three formats: standard course modules, videos, and condensed handouts. The content in the three formats is the same, except that the regular modules have practice exercises and some additional linked readings.
- Outline the 4Ps (product, price, place, promotion) of the marketing mix.
- Explain the elements of SWOT analysis and how SWOT is used to develop marketing strategies.
- Explain segmentation, targeting, and positioning.
- Conduct a competitive analysis.
- Describe market research and its value.
- Understand the basics of integrated marketing communications.
- Distinguish between paid, owned, and earned media.
- Approximately 6-8 hours
- Digital Badge
- Printable Statement of Completion
- If you are new to BCIT, you will be required to create a BCIT account before registering for your course.
- Once you receive your BCIT ID (A0…) login and register.
Note: If you are creating an account for the first time, it may take up to 24 hours before you are able to log in to BCIT to access your course.
- Access your online course at learn.bcit.ca.
- Login with your BCIT ID (A0…) and password.
- Scroll down to your My Courses listing and click on the course link.