This course aims to help us all understand ourselves and our world better through an examination of our own unconscious biases.
The relevance of this course is what you make of it. As you’ll learn, we all have biases that we may not be aware of and that shape how we see the world and interact with others.
Our hope is that you feel empowered to choose how you can help change our world for the better through a better understanding of yourself.
“Progress is impossible without change, and those who cannot change their minds cannot change anything”.
George Bernard Shaw
“This course quickly helped me get up to speed on the concept of unconscious bias that was new to me. But I also feel confident now in that I’ve broken down my biases and have tools to help me manage my own biases and interact better with others.”
Course number: MOOC-0252
Course title: Understanding Unconscious Bias
Completion criteria: Completion of 2 Module Self-assessments
Completion award: Digital Badge
Registration fee: None
This course was developed for anyone wanting to understand unconscious bias and the impact of on society, individuals, and themselves.
The online course consists of 6 independent study modules that enables you to proceed through the material at your own pace. Although it is recommended that you follow the lessons in consecutive order to maximize the learning, it is not a requirement.
This is no instructional or tutorial support available in this course. If you are struggling with any of the concepts, additional resources have been provided that may assist you with different perspectives on the course material. You are encouraged to investigate any of the topics in more detail.
Upon completion of this course, you should be able to:
- Describe unconscious bias
- Explain why and how people develop unconscious bias
- List common types of unconscious biases that impact decision making in the work and learning environment
- Explain how to prevent or minimize the discriminatory impact of unconscious biases.
- Approximately 6-8 hours.
- Statement of Completion
- Digital Badge
- If you are new to BCIT, you will be required to create a BCIT account before registering for your course.
- Once you receive your BCIT ID (A0…) login and register for your course.
Note: If you are creating an account for the first time, it may take up to 24 hours before you are able to log in to BCIT to access your course.
- Access your online course at learn.bcit.ca.
- Login with your my.bcit.ca email address and your password
- Scroll down to your My Courses listing and click on the course link.