Let’s face it, we live in a difficult world where we are constantly challenged to rethink our relationships with others and society. The social landscape can change so quickly we hardly have time to keep up with the terminology, none the less understand and incorporate new ideas into our ways of thinking and doing.
This course asks you to put the immediacy of current social politics aside and focus on the root of our challenges. Together we will explore how the basic idea of respect is the foundation of harmonious and productive workplaces.
Wayne Johnson, Automotive Service Technician
I thought I understood what respect was while I was in school. Now that I’m out working in the reality of the real world I see examples of disrespect everywhere. This course has empowered me with the knowledge and courage I need to help make a difference in this world. It starts with the understanding this course has given me.
Course number: MOOC-0250
Course title: Respectful Workplaces
Completion criteria: Completion of the course material and a final course self-assessment
Completion award: Digital Badge and Statement of Completion
Registration fee: None
This course is for everyone, because we all need it.
- We strive for a world that enables all members of the community to work and learn in an environment free from bullying, harassment, and discrimination.
- BCIT’s goal is to ensure that yours is a workplace where everyone associated with the organization are valued and respected.
- We hope that this course will empower you as an advocate for good.
The online course consists of 6 independent study modules that enables you to proceed through the material at your own pace. Although it is recommended that you follow the lessons in consecutive order to maximize the learning, it is not a requirement.
This is no instructional or tutorial support available in this course. If you are struggling with any of the concepts, additional resources have been provided that may assist you with different perspectives on the course material. You are encouraged to investigate any of the topics in more detail.
By the end of this course you will be able to:
- Understand the importance of a respectful workplace.
- Recognize discrimination, harassment, and bullying.
- Support a culture of respect.
- Know what to do if you witness or experience discrimination, harassment, or bullying.
Depending on the approach you take to work though this content, completion could range anywhere from 4 to 6 hours.
- Statement of Completion
- Digital Badge
- If you are new to BCIT, you will be required to create a BCIT account before registering for your course.
- Once you receive your BCIT ID (A0…) login and register for your course.
Note: If you are creating an account for the first time, it may take up to 24 hours before you are able to log in to BCIT to access your course.
- Access your online course at learn.bcit.ca.
- Login with your my.bcit.ca email address and your password
- Scroll down to your My Courses listing and click on the course link.