Fall 2021 delivery mode: blended
- This program will be delivered for the fall semester as a combination of online and on-campus learning. While some of your coursework will take place online, there will also be in-person sessions.
- Faculty will notify students of when their attendance on campus will be required.
- We have put measures in place for your safety and well-being, ensuring that all safety protocols are addressed. Please see the BCIT COVID-19 page for details on the mandatory procedures that have been implemented.
- You will need access to a personal computer with video and microphone for the online portion of your program.
Your education is our priority and we will continue to deliver the applied instruction, collaborative experience, and industry connections that you expect from BCIT.
The Full-Stack Web Development Diploma (FSWD) features an interdisciplinary learning environment to prepare you for a career as a web developer.
Focusing on emerging web application development tools and technologies, this unique two-year full-time program offers hands-on experience combined with industry projects to equip you for the many opportunities in this fast-growing and high-demand field.
The FSWD Diploma is offered at the BCIT Downtown Campus – in the heart of Vancouver – with several high-tech sector players close by. The FSWD experience features industry-driven project-based learning, small classes, and new state-of-the-art flexible learning spaces
Who should apply?
The FSWD program might be the right fit for you if you:
- Enjoy working with people and in teams
- Have a knack for troubleshooting and problem solving
- Thrive in a multifaceted context that includes programming, user experience, and design
- Want a stable professional career with strong opportunities for growth
Costs & Supplies
The FSWD Diploma is a full-time two-year program.
This Diploma covers the knowledge and skills needed by full-stack web developers to create, modify, and maintain full web applications, including server configuration, front-end development, back-end development, data management, and web architecture design. The FSWD Diploma also provides valuable interdisciplinary training in a unique cross-program format.
Program Structure by Term
Upon successful completion of the FSWD Diploma, students will be able to:
- Build web applications using formats such as the Model-View-Controller (MVC) pattern
- Build back-end RESTful applications using modern scripting and programming languages and frameworks
- Install, configure, run, and manage web servers and resources through command-line interfaces
- Build, administer, and use modern database management systems, and incorporate the data within web applications
- Develop software in accordance with best practice for design, implementation, and testing and deployment
- Apply modern, best-practice front-end UX, UI, and design techniques
- Build prototypes and full-stack full web applications in teams, including front-end and back-end development based on user requirements and needs
- Communicate effectively in written and oral English and use presentation tools effectively in a business, sales or technical setting
- Create web applications that follow legal, ethical, and security best practices
- Prepare to market and sell web applications according to best current practice
- Manage and collaborate on team projects using popular technical tools such as version control and communication tools and modern methodologies such as Agile and Scrum
Graduating & Jobs
Web development is a fast-growing employment category, with continued projected high growth and demand in BC and beyond. Web developers are employed across multiple industries throughout the private and public sectors. They may also be self-employed.
Graduates of this diploma program may apply for acceptance into BCIT’s Bachelor of Technology Degree in Technology Management. With bridging, laddering to other BCIT degrees, such as the Computer Systems Technology (CST) BTech, and BTech in Forensic Investigation (Digital Forensics and Cybersecurity option), may also be possible.
Faculty, Advisors & Staff
BCIT is well-respected by employers for its ties to the industry. In Computing, this connection is formalized through a Program Advisory Committee (PAC) comprised of experts in a range of roles from a cross-section of companies. The department consults regularly to ensure program currency and relevance.
Questions or comments?
Sign up to receive updates, invitations to events, and information about BCIT and your program.
We promise not to spam you, we won’t share your personal information, and you can unsubscribe at any time.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.