Automotive Service Technicians are proficient in using computerized diagnostic equipment to test, adjust and repair sophisticated vehicle systems. With the Ford ASSET Option, beyond acquiring your ASTO Diploma and writing the Level 1, 2, 3 BC Industry Training Authority (ITA) Certificate of Qualification exams, you also receive specialized training for Ford certification in brakes, electrical, steering and suspension, engine mechanical, and heating ventilation and air conditioning systems.
Program delivery mode: blended
- This program will be delivered as a combination of online and on-campus learning. While some of your coursework will take place online, there will also be in-person sessions.
- Faculty will notify students of when their attendance on campus will be required.
Your education is our priority and we will continue to deliver the applied instruction, collaborative experience, and industry connections that you expect from BCIT.
- You will need access to a personal computer with video and microphone for the online portion of your program.
- See Student Technology and Discounts for general technology recommendations and negotiated discounts from BCIT partners.
Safety in shops
- Because this program will be delivered in a blended format, you will be required to attend shop activities in person. Our Occupational Health and Safety team has assessed our classrooms and shops to ensure we practice safe operating procedures in accordance with public health and safety guidelines as well as WorkSafeBC standards for post-secondary institutions. This is what we have done for automotive programs.
Services and support
- Our Student Services staff continue to offer advice, care, and support as needed to optimize your learning experience. Many services, including Student Health Services and Counselling and Student Development are offering phone or virtual appointments to BCIT students.
Ford dealerships sponsor ASSET students during their work terms, so you gain real world experience while also receiving a wage and the opportunity to demonstrate your skills. You may even have a job lined up upon graduation. Many Ford dealers hire graduates from the program; however, your career is not limited to Ford as the ASTO Diploma program and ITA certification applies throughout BC and most Canadian provinces as an Automotive Service Technician.
This specialized training program has been designed to provide you with the theoretical understanding and practical skills needed to diagnose and repair the sophisticated systems found in contemporary motor vehicles. The administrative and business training components of the program provide you with laddering opportunities for advancement through baccalaureate pathways in business administration and technology management. The ASTO Ford ASSET Option consists of four technical training terms with two paid 22-week co-op work terms in a Ford dealership facility.
Upon successful completion of the program, you will receive an Automotive Service Technician and Operations Diploma, qualify for credit towards all four levels of technical training requirements in the provincial Automotive Service Technician Apprenticeship program and receive 2000 hours of time service requirement towards your apprenticeship.
BCIT School of Transportation has partnered with Ford Motor Company to provide Ford-sponsored training. In addition to the Automotive Service Technician program, students will receive training, exposure and focus on the Ford product.
Questions or comments?
Sign up to receive updates, invitations to events, and information about BCIT and your program.
We promise not to spam you, we won’t share your personal information, and you can unsubscribe at any time.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.