Working in Canada

On-campus employment

International students in full-time programs at BCIT are permitted to work on-campus without a work permit. On-campus employment opportunities are listed online through e-Jobs.

Co-op work permit

International students are permitted to work off-campus if it is an integral part of one's full-time program through BCIT's co-op requirement. Work must be less than 50% of the total length of the full-time program and must be directly related to your program. There is no charge for this type of work permit.

Volunteer activities

The following volunteer activities do not require a work permit:

Off-campus work permit

Eligible international students at participating post-secondary institutions can work off-campus while studying in BC and gain valuable Canadian work experience.

Please contact BCIT's International Student Centre to find out if you qualify for this program. More information on job opportunities is also available at e-Jobs.

Apply to work off-campus through Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC).

Post-graduate work permit

Once you have successfully completed a credential at BCIT you will have 90 days, from the date your final grades (results) are posted, to apply for an open work permit through Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC).

Depending on the length of your program, CIC may grant you anywhere from 8 months to 3 years to work in Canada.