January 2021 Delivery Mode: BLENDED
- This program will be delivered during COVID-19 as a combination of online and on-campus learning.
- Faculty will notify students of when their attendance on campus will be required.
- We are putting measures in place for your safety and well-being, ensuring that all safety protocols are addressed. Please see BCIT COVID-19 Return to Operations for details on the mandatory procedures that have been implemented.
- Your education is our priority and we will continue to deliver the applied instruction, collaborative experience, and industry connections that you expect from BCIT.
This diploma program prepares you for apprenticeship with the latest heavy duty truck technologies (HDTT). Learn about, and work with, the future of transportation while gaining manufacturer level certifications. Courses are delivered in-class, online and in the shop, just as they are by major employers in the industry. This innovative program includes management courses to ensure you are ready for many high-demand positions and advancement opportunities.
Support from major manufacturers is achieved through study of their online course materials, specific engines and products. In depth diagnostic skills are achieved through this program, going beyond the National Red Seal Occupational Standards and B.C. curriculum with courses including: electric vehicle propulsion, fuel cells, power generation, A/C motor control and mobile refrigeration.
This program has four technical training terms plus one 15-week paid co-op work term, providing more time spent per topic than traditional heavy duty truck apprenticeship training.
Upon successful completion of the program, students will receive a Heavy Duty Truck Technology Diploma and qualify for credit towards the first three levels of the technical training requirements in the provincial common core heavy mechanical trades apprenticeship: heavy duty equipment technician, truck transport mechanic, transport trailer technician, diesel engine mechanic, and up to 900 hours of time in trade requirement.
Costs & Supplies
Graduating & Jobs
Be ready for a career with major industry employers in a variety of positions, which could include:
- Red Seal heavy duty or commercial transport technician
- generator technician
- parts person
- service advisor
- roles in service management
This program will fast track your career. If you have some mechanical experience and work history, an ability to relate to highly technical content, and a desire to engage with industry, this is the program you have been looking for.
Faculty, Advisors & Staff
- Cummins Western Canada
- Cullen Western Star
- Douglas Lake Equipment
- First Truck
- Peterbilt Pacific
- Power West Industries
- Williams Machinery
Questions or comments?
Sign up to receive updates, invitations to events, and information about BCIT and your program.
We promise not to spam you, we won’t share your personal information, and you can unsubscribe at any time.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.