Magnetic resonance imaging, commonly known as MRI, utilizes powerful magnetic fields and radio waves to form images of the body to diagnose illness. MRI provides non-invasive, diagnostic testing on almost every aspect of the human body, including bones, organs, muscles, and neurological functions.
About the program
The BCIT Magnetic Resonance Imaging program delivers the training health authorities seek. The only one of its kind in BC, we make sure you graduate fully prepared to start your career.
- Part-time, advanced certificate that takes an average of two years to complete
- Fully online, giving you flexibility to learn at your own pace
- A four-month clinical experience in an MRI setting provides direct work experience
See Program Details to discover more about BCIT’s Magnetic Resonance Imaging Advanced Certificate.
Who it’s for
This program is for medical imaging healthcare professionals who:
- Have completed one of the following programs: Diagnostic Medical Sonography, Medical Radiography, Nuclear Medicine, or Radiation Therapy
- Have six months or more of related work experience
- Enjoy thinking analytically and problem-solving
- Enjoy working independently in a self-directed work environment
Ready to add MRI to your diagnostic skill set? See Program Entry to learn more about applying to our program.
What grads can do
MRI is a critical branch of medical imaging testing. Our grads are in demand. See Graduating and Jobs to learn more about career opportunities.
Note: In alignment with public health orders, this program requires that students be vaccinated for a number of communicable diseases – including COVID-19.
Costs & Supplies
The estimated cost per theory course is $912 tuition; there are six theory courses. The clinical experience course is $1526. The total cost of texts required for the program is estimated at $800 – $900. The total cost to complete the program, if students complete all theory courses and the clinical experience (40 credits), is approximately $7,800.
The aim of the Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) program is to prepare graduates with the knowledge, critical thinking and technical skills to safely perform high quality diagnostic MRI studies while maintaining a high level of care for the patient.
The goal of the BCIT MRI program is to provide graduates with the necessary tools to integrate theoretical knowledge into clinical practice. The program is committed to providing qualified graduates in appropriate numbers to serve the needs of healthcare providers and patients in BC and across Canada.
The program has adopted the standards of the National Competency Profile (NCP) of the Canadian Association of Medical Radiation Technologists (CAMRT).
Graduates of the MRI program have the necessary knowledge and skills to:
- Perform a wide variety of MRI procedures independently
- Describe the physical principles of MRI and apply them to MRI procedures
- Integrate theoretical knowledge with clinical skills to provide high quality diagnostic MRI studies
- Demonstrate critical thinking and problem solving skills
- Identify anatomical structures
- Analyze images for the identification of pathological conditions
- Critique MRI studies for image quality
- Adapt studies as needed based upon patient and related circumstances
- Provide safe and effective patient care as it relates to the MRI environment
- Ensure safety for self, staff and patients
- Demonstrate life-long learning and professional growth
Graduating & Jobs
Our graduates are ready
Our grads are working in MRI departments across the province. We provide you with everything you need to write the Canadian Association of Medical Radiation Technologists (CAMRT) exam as soon as you graduate.
Grads work as MRI technologists in hospitals and private clinics. Most positions start at approximately $36 per hour.
With experience, you can choose to generalize or specialize in areas such as:
Advance your education and transfer your credits to complete BCIT’s Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Technology programs.
Toll-free: 1-800-663-6542 local 8231
Questions or comments?
Sign up to receive updates, invitations to events, and information about BCIT and your program.
We promise not to spam you, we won’t share your personal information, and you can unsubscribe at any time.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.