Health Science Students
This page is where you will find further information regarding the BCIT Immunization Review Form and vaccination requirements. Please review the drop downs below.
Please review the instructions located on the first page of the Immunization Review Form to help guide you when completing the form.
After reviewing the instructions, if you have any questions or concerns about the Immunization Review Form or how to complete it, please call the Student Health Services Nurses at 604-432-8843 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Health Science Students (non-nursing) are required to complete the Health Sciences Immunization Review Form
Nursing Students are required to complete the Nursing Immunization Review Form
Please note: forms are due on the date set by your program, and that completion of vaccinations and a TB Skin Test are not required ahead of time (unless otherwise discussed). We are requesting students to complete serology ahead of time, and will send further information regarding this once we receive your forms. If you require an extension for sending in your Immunization Review Form, please contact your program admissions officer.
Prior to sending in your form, please check the following:
- Did you complete the form to the best of your ability, ensuring that your demographic information is correct, and that all applicable sections of the immunization review are filled out?
- Did you complete the form yourself? If yes, please ensure to sign the form.
- Did you have a physician complete the form (not required)? If yes, please ensure the physician signs and stamps the form.
- Were you able to get a copy of your immunization records? If yes, please ensure they are attached to the email. If no, please try all available options for getting records before selecting “No Records” on your Immunization Review Form.
Let us know in the body of the email if you are waiting for records, if you have had a previous positive TB Skin Test, or if you have any questions or concerns.
Completed forms and vaccination records are to be emailed to email@example.com.
As noted on the BCIT Health Sciences Immunization Review form, the following vaccinations are required for health science students:
- Recent (within the past ten years) Tetanus/Diphtheria or Tetanus/Diphtheria/Pertussis vaccine (TdaP required for Nursing students only)
- An adult booster of Poliomyelitis vaccine
- Two documented Measles Mumps Rubella vaccines (please be aware re-vaccination will occur if you only received 1 full dose of MMR or had MR only, as well as if you do not have any records)
Note: We do not accept serology for Measles, Mumps, or Rubella as confirmation of immunity
- Two documented Varicella vaccinations, a self-reported history of Childhood Chickenpox Disease (only if disease occurred before 2004), or serology confirming immunity.
- Tuberculin (TB) Skin test (must be within the 6 months prior to starting your clinical practicum)
- Documented series of Hepatitis B immunizations along with mandatory serology for Hepatitis B (must include all 3 markers: HepBsAb, HepBsAg and HepBcAb)
- It is highly recommended that Medical Laboratory Science (MLS) students be protected against Meningitis. MLS students should receive 2 doses of MenB (Bexsero) and 1 dose of ACYW-135 (Menveo or Menactra). These vaccinations are also suggested for all health care workers.
- Seasonal Influenza vaccine
Good to know
It is not necessary to complete all of the vaccine requirements listed on the immunization review form on your own. We only require that the form and any records you have are submitted prior to the deadline set by your program. The form does not need to be signed by a doctor, and all vaccines are provided free during your immunization review appointment, however, we do charge for the TB Skin Test ($60). Meningococcal vaccines that are recommended for Med Lab students are not carried in our clinic and we will discuss your options during your appointment.
The TB Skin Test will be completed during your Immunization Review appointment. If you choose to complete the TB Skin Test outside of BCIT SHS, it must be completed within 6 months to 1 year of entry into your first clinical placement. If you have tested positive in the past, a chest X-Ray is recommended. Records of previous chest X-Rays can be used as long as the chest X-Ray is recent (within 1 year of entering the program).
Further immunization information
- Health Link BC: Meningitis
- Health Link BC: Meningococcal Vaccines
- BCCDC: Immunization Recommendations for Health Care Workers
- Public Health Agency Canada Information for Immunization of Health Care Workers: Canadian Immunization Guide: Part 3 – Vaccination of Specific Populations
- Health Link BC: Tuberculin Skin Test
- Immunization Records from Health Gateway (for those vaccinated in BC)
If you have any questions or concerns after reviewing the BCIT Health Sciences Immunization Review Instructions or Health Sciences Immunization Review Form, please contact the nurses at Student Health Services:
- By Phone: 604-432-8843
- By Email: Nurses@bcit.ca (forms can be sent here, please call for all other inquiries)
If you are a current BCIT Health Sciences student and have been in to see us for your immunization review, but still require immunizations or information please call us to discuss next steps.
For other BCIT Student Health Services Appointments (e.g. Physician, Counselling or Psychiatrist) please contact our front desk at 604-432-8608.