As noted on the Immunization Review Form Instructions [PDF], the following vaccinations are required for health science students:
- Recent (within the past ten years) Tetanus/Diphtheria
- An adult booster of Poliomyelitis vaccine is required for all students entering clinical.
- Two documented Measles Mumps Rubella vaccines (please be aware re-vaccination will occur if you only received 1 full dose of MMR or had MR only, as well as if you do not have any records).
- Two documented Varicella vaccinations or a history of Childhood Chickenpox Disease is accepted as being immune.
- Tuberculin (TB) Skin test (must be within the 6 months prior to starting your clinical practicum).
- Documented series of Hepatitis B immunizations along with mandatory serology for Hepatitis B*
- It is highly recommended that Medical Laboratory students are protected against Meningitis. Med Lab students should receive 2 doses of MenB (Bexsero) and 1 dose of ACYW-135 (Menveo or Menactra). These vaccinations are also suggested for all health workers.
Serology is recommended if you are uncertain if you had the disease as a child, or if you do not have records. Serology may have to be repeated should the necessary markers not be included in your blood work, and can be drawn in our clinic during immunization reviews. Serology is not accepted for MMR.
*Please let your physician know that your Hepatitis B blood work requisition must include: HepBsAb, HepBsAg, and HepBcAb.
Good to know
It is not necessary to complete all of the vaccine requirements listed on the immunization review form on your own. We only require that the form and any records you have are submitted prior to the deadline. The form does not need to be signed by a doctor, and all vaccines are provided free during your immunization review appointment. However, we do charge for the immunization review. Detailed instructions and list of fees can be found on the second page of the immunization review form [PDF].
The TB skin test is not free and must be done within six months of entering clinical. The TB skin test is done during the review visit only if indicated. If you have tested positive in the past, a chest X-Ray is recommended. Records of previous chest X-Rays can be used as long as the chest X-Ray is recent within 1-2 years of entering the program.
Further help and immunization information
Information regarding Meningitis and Vaccines:
- Health Link BC: Meningitis
- Meningococcal Vaccines
- Health Link BC: Immunizations for Health Care Workers
- Public Health Agency Canada Information for Immunization of Health Care Workers: Canadian Immunization Guide: Part 3 – Vaccination of Specific Populations
- Tuberculin Skin Testing Information [PDF]
- Useful App for Vaccination Record Management
Questions or concerns?
If you have any questions or concerns regarding your immunization records, review or vaccinations and serology required, please contact the nurses at Student Health Services:
- By Phone: 604-432-8843
- By Email: Nurses@bcit.ca (forms can be sent here, please call for all other inquiries)
If you are a current health sciences student and have been in to see us for your immunization review, but still require immunizations or information please call us to book an appointment.