The BCIT Health Leadership advanced certificate program develops emerging health leaders. From leading oneself, understanding health organizations, budgeting, project management, and managing people, our courses are taught through the healthcare leadership lens, giving you the leadership perspectives and capabilities to advance your career and make a difference as an emerging health leader.
Fall 2021 delivery mode: online
- This program will be delivered online for the fall semester.
Your education is our priority and we will continue to deliver the applied instruction, collaborative experience, and industry connections that you expect from BCIT.
Please visit our COVID-19 Information page for information and updates about BCIT’s ongoing pandemic response.
About the program
Offered by BCIT’s Health Care Management department, the Health Leadership program is the only advanced certificate program of its kind in Canada.
- Part-time, advanced certificate program completed over 2 years
- Interactive online learning
- Take courses as you need them or complete the full certificate
- Includes a Capstone project completed in the workplace
Visit Program Details for more information on our Health Leadership program.
Who it’s for
This program is for healthcare professionals who:
- Are in the first half of their healthcare career, or in a related industry looking to work in health care
- Are interested in developing skills to lead high-performing teams
- Enjoy leading others in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Are interested in enhancing the patient care experience from organizational and operational perspectives
Discover if BCIT’s Health Leadership program is right for you – see Entrance Requirements for details.
What grads can do
All of our grads are applying their skills to their workplace. See Graduating and Jobs to learn about career opportunities.
Costs & Supplies
The aim of the Advanced Certificate in Health Leadership Program is to provide emerging leaders with a foundation for future growth in healthcare leadership.
What is an “emerging health leader”?
At BCIT, we define an emerging health leader as an early-career health professional who is passionate and committed to pursuing a career in health leadership.
The goal of the advanced certificate is to produce health care graduates who are acquainted with health care leadership issues and who are able to:
- communicate successfully in the clinical environment
- function as an effective health care team member
- evaluate operational change in the context of evidence-based decision making
- prepare, develop and manage a department budget
- manage projects according to health care standards and constraints
- apply LEADS concepts to performance management
- appreciate complex labour relations of the health care setting
- lead members of the health care team in busy stressful environments
- discuss appropriate professional judgment in the applicable health care settings
- ensure a high standard of patient care to patients and families
- illustrate exemplary ethical decision-making to applicable health care settings
- discuss the application of safe practices in the applicable health care settings
- correlate academic knowledge with health care leadership practice
- demonstrate professional judgment in identifying, documenting and communicating issues in leadership situations
Participants will be required to complete the program over a two year period. The first year focuses on the fundamentals of health leadership, management of resources, sustainability, leading people, and the Canadian health system. At the end of the first year, accomplishments are recognized and celebrated, and participants are awarded a Statement of Completion. In the second year, participants apply their learning to addresses performance management, use of evidence in health leadership decision-making, and project leadership. In the final capstone course, participants complete an Integrative Project in their workplace with the support of an organizational sponsor and a BCIT facilitator. The courses consist of 24-credits at the upper Bachelor-degree level, consistent with BCIT standards. In addition, by incorporating practical and applied learning approaches that BCIT is known for, the participants and their organizations benefit from day one of the program, by tapping into skills and knowledge that can be applied immediately to the workplace.
The Health Leadership program is closely aligned with industry, through its program advisory committee and its adoption of the LEADS in a Caring Environment framework, a leadership capability profile that defines the knowledge, skills, and attitudes a leader needs to exhibit in order to successfully contribute to an effective and efficient Canadian health system. As such, the framework has been adopted by the Health Care Leaders Association of BC, the Canadian College of Health Leaders, the Canadian Health Leadership Network, and Emerging Health Leaders.
The delivery method is online part-time studies using educational technologies to promote interaction and engagement within the program and cohort, while maintaining flexibility over time and ensuring educational interactions across the province and beyond. The faculty will have a minimum of a Master’s credential with real-life experience at middle and senior levels of leadership in the health system. The key strengths of the program are:
- Curricula that is linked to industry standards, and specifically to the LEADS in a Caring Environment framework
- A cohort and online learning approach that enables inter-professional collaboration, relationship building across the province and beyond, and effective use of time
- Upper-level study that enables potential laddering to further academic credentials
- Gatherings in a health leadership professional setting on an annual basis while in the program to recognize and celebrate accomplishments
- Opportunity to complete an Integrative Project with support and guidance
Graduating & Jobs
Our graduates move up
Flexible. Specialized. Skills focused. Our grads are working in healthcare positions across all areas of the industry. From supervising medical laboratories and imaging departments to leading nursing teams and community health initiatives, our Health Leadership program prepares you from day one.
Gain the professional development and résumé relevancy employers seek. We give you health leadership and managerial skills that you can apply to any healthcare field.
Health leadership positions start at approximately $50,000 to $74,000 per year. Apply your new skills to your current role or seek out leadership positions in health care, with roles like:
- Program or project leader
- Team leader
- Team or program coordinator
- Regional manager
- Supervisor in an area related to your clinical field
Faculty, Advisors & Staff
Questions or comments?
Sign up to receive updates, invitations to events, and information about BCIT and your program.
We promise not to spam you, we won’t share your personal information, and you can unsubscribe at any time.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.