This online course provides a comprehensive overview of the Canadian health system and examines the interactions between health system components as part of an integrated health system. The course compares the approach used for health service delivery in Canadian provinces and territories, and compares the Canadian approach to other national health systems. Critical thinking is emphasized and highlighted throughout the course.
- No prerequisites are required for this course.
Below is one offering of HLED 7120 for the Winter 2023 term.
Mon Jan 09 - Sun Apr 02 (12 weeks)
- 12 weeks
- CRN 80167
Class meeting times
|Jan 09 - Apr 02||N/A||N/A||Online|
- Internet delivery format.
- Important course information will be sent to you prior to your course start date. Check your myBCIT email account to access this information.
Internet delivery course. Access is through my.bcit.ca Students need to contact the BCIT Bookstore in order to obtain course materials.
This course offering is in progress. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive email updates.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student will be able to:
- Identify the characteristics and components of the Canadian health system.
- Explain the evolution of the Canadian health system and the key issues that impact and define the health system in Canada.
- Integrate the distributed leadership applications of the LEADS Frameworks and its domains to the structures, processes and outcomes of the Canadian health system.
- Integrate the concepts of population health including the public and private sector divide, the financial arrangements and the responsibilities of the different levels of government in Canada.
- Analyze leadership impacts on the Canadian health system including the model of publicly financed and privately delivered.
- Assess the sustainability challenges of the Canadian health system including perceptions of crisis, the concept of user fees and the impact of the aging population.
- Propose leadership strategies to implement primary health care service delivery and the challenges of chronic disease management.
- Discuss the evolution of delivery of acute care services in Canada including the multiple years of reform, home care services and the Canadian policy on pharmaceuticals.
- Discuss the evolution of delivery of community care services in Canada including the multiple years of reform, waiting lists, waiting times and the introduction of new technology.
- Discuss the evolution of delivery of mental health and addictions services in Canada including the need for health promotion and illness prevention.
- Examine the human resource challenges of planning health human resources in Canada, the physician shortage and scopes of practice and the challenges of nurse recruitment, retention and scopes of practice.
- Discuss patient safety and quality improvement initiatives in the health sector.
- Discuss the current research, literature and practice related to the impact of regionalization, aboriginal health and health status improvements in rural areas.
- Compare other national health systems to the Canadian health system.
- Propose reforms to sustain the Canadian health system in the longer term.
Effective as of Fall 2012
Canadian Health System (HLED 7120) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Health Sciences
- Health Leadership
Advanced Certificate Part-time
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Canadian Health System (HLED 7120)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.