This online course will provide a comprehensive introduction to evidence-based decision making in the health sector. The course will examine current practices and protocols, standards of evidence, sources of data, and the application of new knowledge to practice in order to foster change through health sector initiatives and projects. The course will include reference to the underlying ethics of decision making evidence. Critical thinking and analysis activities will be applied throughout the course and the LEADS Framework will inform the course delivery. *This course will be offered once each year in the Spring term as per the annual course schedule.*
- No prerequisites are required for this course.
Below is one offering of HLED 7260 for the Spring/Summer 2023 term.
Tue Apr 11 - Fri Jun 30 (12 weeks)
- 12 weeks
- CRN 62789
Class meeting times
|Apr 11 - Jun 30||N/A||N/A||Online|
- Internet delivery format.
- Departmental approval needed
- Important course information will be sent to you prior to your course start date. Check your myBCIT email account to access this information.
This course is for students in the Health Leadership Advanced Certificate, or those with special approval from the BCIT Healthcare Management Department. To request approval, email firstname.lastname@example.org and quote your Name and Student ID, and briefly explain your interest in the course based on your BCIT program and/or work experience. Internet delivery course. Access is though my.bcit.ca. Students do not need to contact the BCIT Bookstore to order any print based materials as all course materials are online.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student will be able to:
- Integrate the distributed leadership applications of the LEADS Frameworks with the domains of evidence and evidence based decision making in the Canadian health system.
- Apply LEADS Framework to the leadership aspects of evidence based decision making in health systems across Western Canada.
- Locate and critically evaluate the evidence needed to support leadership decisions in Western Canada.
- Compare and contrast the different types of evidence that influence leadership decisions in the Canadian health sector.
- Exemplify standards of presentation of material used to form the base of evidence for health leadership decisions using APA requirements.
- Apply strategies, such as push or pull strategies, to support leadership decision making to match both time and context parameters.
- Demonstrate successful use of boundary spanning communication skills to leverage the strength of inter- professional collaboration.
- Serve as an effective health leader by relying on evidence to support leadership decisions.
- Evaluate operational and policy changes needed in the context of evidence-based decision making.
- Correlate academic knowledge with health care leadership practice to bring an evidence basis to leadership decisions.
- Integrate and synthesize professional judgment in identifying, documenting and communicating evidence based decision making required to build consensus and coherence.
Effective as of Fall 2012
Leadership Issues in Evidence-based Decision Making (HLED 7260) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Computing and Academic Studies
- Applied Data Analytics
School of Health Sciences
- Health Leadership
Advanced Certificate Part-time
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Leadership Issues in Evidence-based Decision Making (HLED 7260)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.