This online course will provide a comprehensive introduction to evidence-based decision making in the health sector. The course will examine current practices and protocols, standards of evidence, sources of data, and the application of new knowledge to practice in order to foster change through health sector initiatives and projects. The course will include reference to the underlying ethics of decision making evidence. Critical thinking and analysis activities will be applied throughout the course and the LEADS Framework will inform the course delivery. *This course will be offered once each year in the Spring term as per the annual course schedule.*
- No prerequisites are required for this course.
- Not offered this term
- This course is not offered this term through BCIT Part-time Studies. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive email updates.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student will be able to:
- Integrate the distributed leadership applications of the LEADS Frameworks with the domains of evidence and evidence based decision making in the Canadian health system.
- Apply LEADS Framework to the leadership aspects of evidence based decision making in health systems across Western Canada.
- Locate and critically evaluate the evidence needed to support leadership decisions in Western Canada.
- Compare and contrast the different types of evidence that influence leadership decisions in the Canadian health sector.
- Exemplify standards of presentation of material used to form the base of evidence for health leadership decisions using APA requirements.
- Apply strategies, such as push or pull strategies, to support leadership decision making to match both time and context parameters.
- Demonstrate successful use of boundary spanning communication skills to leverage the strength of inter- professional collaboration.
- Serve as an effective health leader by relying on evidence to support leadership decisions.
- Evaluate operational and policy changes needed in the context of evidence-based decision making.
- Correlate academic knowledge with health care leadership practice to bring an evidence basis to leadership decisions.
- Integrate and synthesize professional judgment in identifying, documenting and communicating evidence based decision making required to build consensus and coherence.
Effective as of Fall 2012
Leadership Issues in Evidence-based Decision Making (HLED 7260) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Computing and Academic Studies
- Applied Data Analytics
School of Health Sciences
- Health Leadership
Advanced Certificate Part-time
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Leadership Issues in Evidence-based Decision Making (HLED 7260)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.