This online course will provide a comprehensive introduction to the range of accountability and performance measurements approaches used in the Canadian health sector. This course will include the integration of leadership ethics. Accountability systems and processes used across Canada’s provinces and territories will be analyzed and applied. The course will focus on the challenge of providing health services based on unlimited demand but the harsh reality of a fixed capacity of resource. The LEADS Framework will inform the course delivery and learners will be provided with a solid understanding of health leadership application of performance measurement, performance management and governance issues that emerging leaders need to know and apply. *This course will be offered once each year in the winter term as per the annual course schedule.*
- No prerequisites are required for this course.
Below is one offering of HLED 7250 for the Winter 2023 term.
Mon Jan 09 - Sun Apr 02 (12 weeks)
- 12 weeks
- CRN 80979
Class meeting times
|Jan 09 - Apr 02||N/A||N/A||Online|
- Internet delivery format.
- Departmental approval needed
- Important course information will be sent to you prior to your course start date. Check your myBCIT email account to access this information.
This course is for students in the Health Leadership Advanced Certificate, or those with special approval from the BCIT Healthcare Management Department. To request approval, email firstname.lastname@example.org and quote your Name and Student ID, and briefly explain your interest in the course based on your BCIT program and/or work experience. Internet delivery course. Access is though my.bcit.ca. Students do not need to contact the BCIT Bookstore to order any print based materials as all course materials are online.
This course offering is in progress. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive email updates.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student will be able to:
- Integrate the distributed leadership applications of the LEADS Frameworks with the domains of performance measure and management of the Canadian health system.
- Apply LEADS Framework to the leadership aspects of accountability and governance of health systems across Western Canada.
- Differentiate accountability challenges and strategies related to performance measurement and management practice.
- Interpret and explain a departmental and program performance report.
- Serve as an effective health care team leader in enhancing accountability, governance and performance measurement of the health system.
- Lead health initiatives according to health care standards and key results so that the performance metrics are known and understood.
- Integrate the application of accountability mechanisms and safe practices in the applicable health care settings.
- Demonstrate professional judgment in identifying, documenting and communicating issues in leadership situations related to enhancing accountability, governance and performance measurement of the health system.
Effective as of Fall 2012
Leading Performance Measurement and Management (HLED 7250) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Computing and Academic Studies
- Applied Data Analytics
School of Health Sciences
- Health Leadership
Advanced Certificate Part-time
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Leading Performance Measurement and Management (HLED 7250)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.