This online course covers the essence of leadership in the health sector across Western Canada. The course reviews leadership theories and practice, and introduces the LEADS Framework, a leadership capability profile which is being used in the development and practice of health leaders in Canada. The components of the framework, its relevance, and its impact on practice of emerging leaders will be explored. This course will enable learners to identify, understand, and demonstrate some fundamental behaviours and values of successful emerging health leaders.
- No prerequisites are required for this course.
Below is one offering of HLED 7110 for the Fall 2023 term.
Mon Sep 11 - Fri Dec 01 (12 weeks)
- 12 weeks
- CRN 39357
Class meeting times
|Sep 11 - Dec 01||N/A||N/A||Online|
- Internet delivery format.
- Important course information will be sent to you prior to your course start date. Check your myBCIT email account to access this information.
Internet delivery course. Access is though my.bcit.ca. Students must contact the BCIT Bookstore in order to order any associated print materials. Students can register up until 1 week after term start without needing program approval. Program approval required after then.
This course offering is in progress. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive email updates.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student will be able to:
- Evaluate and analyze the principles of leadership.
- Explain the essence of leadership.
- Apply the different types of leadership (transactional, transformational and servant leadership).
- Compare and contrast Leadership key concepts with the key concepts of Management and know where the concepts diverge.
- Analyze authentic situations to know when to use and apply a particular Leadership style.
- Explain the full LEADS framework for health leaders.
- Consider strategies for integrating and initiating needed leadership on all of the LEADS domains.
- Integrate the LEADS Framework concepts to their own health leadership practice.
- Apply LEADS framework domains and leadership principles to example health sector specific scenarios and constraints.
- Appreciate the complexity of multidisciplinary and inter- professional teams in the healthcare environment and the need to demonstrate inter-collaborate practices.
- Demonstrate professional judgment in identifying, documenting and communicating issues in leadership situations.
Effective as of Fall 2012
Fundamentals for Emerging Leaders in Health Care (HLED 7110) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Health Sciences
- Bachelor of Health Science (Magnetic Resonance Imaging Option)
Bachelor of Health Science Part-time
- Health Leadership
Advanced Certificate Part-time
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Fundamentals for Emerging Leaders in Health Care (HLED 7110)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.