Gas Turbine (Jet) Engine Technicians are responsible for inspecting and repairing engines in accordance with exact aviation standards and regulation. It is a challenging occupation requiring a high degree of responsibility and skill, which includes:
- repairing and overhauling gas turbine engines
- rebuilding gas turbine engines
- balancing gas turbine engine components and assemblies
- testing and troubleshooting gas turbine engines
- inspecting gas turbine engine components and assemblies.
Qualified technicians have many opportunities for advanced training and continued career satisfaction.
Fall 2021 delivery mode: blended
- This program will be delivered for the fall semester as a combination of online and on-campus learning. While some of your coursework will take place online, there will also be in-person sessions.
- Faculty will notify students of when their attendance on campus will be required.
- We have put measures in place for your safety and well-being, ensuring that all safety protocols are addressed. Please see the BCIT COVID-19 page for details on the mandatory procedures that have been implemented.
- You will need access to a personal computer with video and microphone for the online portion of your program.
- See Student Technology and Discounts for general technology recommendations and negotiated discounts from BCIT partners.
Your education is our priority and we will continue to deliver the applied instruction, collaborative experience, and industry connections that you expect from BCIT.
Safety on campus
- Because this program will be delivered in a blended format, you will be required to attend campus in person. Our Occupational Health and Safety team has assessed our classrooms and labs/shops to ensure we practice safe operating procedures in accordance with public health and safety guidelines as well as WorkSafeBC standards for post-secondary institutions.
Services and support
- Our Student Services staff continue to offer advice, care, and support as needed to optimize your learning experience. Many services, including Student Health Services and Counselling and Student Development are offering phone or virtual appointments to BCIT students.
This program was developed by BCIT, the Canadian Council for Aviation and Aerospace (CCAA) and the gas turbine engine overhaul industry. It was designed to meet industry’s need for basic training and technician certification. Successful completion of this program, plus work experience recorded and certified in a personal logbook, may qualify the candidates for national certification from CCAA.
This Aircraft Gas Turbine Technician program consists of 38 weeks of full-time studies. Approximately 40 per cent of the day is spent on theory discussions in a classroom setting, followed by hands-on practical training in the shops and hangar located at BCIT’s state of the art Aerospace Technology Campus. Access to a wide variety of gas turbine engines, extensive use of specialized engine tooling and highly qualified instructors are provided to you in order to help you succeed at becoming a proficient technician capable of inspecting and repairing today’s sophisticated, modern gas turbine engines.
Costs & Supplies
Graduating & Jobs
The men and women who enter this career path find employment in power plant shops of larger airlines, as well as repair and overhaul shops of engine manufacturers and independent owners across Canada.
Questions or comments?
Sign up to receive updates, invitations to events, and information about BCIT and your program.
We promise not to spam you, we won’t share your personal information, and you can unsubscribe at any time.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.