This program is for people who are already working in food industry, but are looking for career development, professional growth, and résumé relevancy. Students can complete the certificate or just take courses as they need.
Program delivery mode: blended
- This program will be delivered for the coming semester as a combination of online and on-campus learning. While some of your coursework will take place online, there will also be in-person sessions.
- Faculty will notify students of when their attendance on campus will be required.
- We have put measures in place for your safety and well-being, ensuring that all safety protocols are addressed. Please see the BCIT COVID-19 page for details on the mandatory procedures that have been implemented.
Your education is our priority and we will continue to deliver the applied instruction, collaborative experience, and industry connections that you expect from BCIT.
About the program
BCIT’s Food Safety Associate Certificate program has been tailor-made to meet the needs of the food industry. We work with industry services to provide progressive training to our grads so they have the exact skills employers seek.
- Part-time, associate certificate program that can be completed in as little as one year depending on course availability, but must be completed within seven years
- Blend of online, distance, and on-campus classes provides you with a variety of learning formats
- No screening process makes for easy registration and lets you start learning sooner
Who it’s for
This program is for individuals who:
- Are currently working in the food industry
- Are seeking a Canadian-recognized certification
- Want to expand their familiarity of food safety issues in food processing
Ready to take your career in the food industry to the next level? Visit Entrance Requirements for details on applying.
What grads can do
Our Food Safety grads gain the tools and expertise to take the next step forward in their career. See Graduating and Jobs to find out how.
Graduating & Jobs
Our grads move up
Because our program is customized to the food industry, you are able to use your new training directly at your workplace from the start. We prepare you to work more effectively in your existing role and get the skills needed to move your career forward.
Apply your new skills to your current role by applying your course knowledge and improving quality assurance at your workplace.
BCIT’s Food Safety program gives you the necessary training to appeal to employers and seek higher level positions. Opportunities include:
- Quality assurance planning
- Food process and operations
- Development and implementation of Hazard Analysis Critical Control Points (HACCP)
- Food industry management and supervision
Note: This program does not ladder into the Food Technology diploma program.
Faculty, Advisors & Staff
Erin Friesen, PhD
Questions or comments?
Sign up to receive updates, invitations to events, and information about BCIT and your program.
We promise not to spam you, we won’t share your personal information, and you can unsubscribe at any time.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.